• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
That makes sense. Thank you. My OR said I wasn't allowed to submit a resume and that I had to mention my jobs, accomplishments, etc. in my motivational statement. Then I read comments similar to yours where people said not to turn the motivational statement into a resume recitation. I think I concluded with a good balance but it wasn't easy. I'm really surprised that there isn't another space, box, form, or whatever to list awards, community service/volunteer work, professional experience, etc.. It seems like that would be beneficial information for the board to consider. I know a lot of those things inevitably make their way into various components of the package but every (non-military) job I have ever applied to has required a resume.
You can put alot of your resume data into the APSR form. Anything that does not fit should be highlighted in the applicant remarks.

Marko88m5

That makes sense. Thank you. My OR said I wasn't allowed to submit a resume and that I had to mention my jobs, accomplishments, etc. in my motivational statement. Then I read comments similar to yours where people said not to turn the motivational statement into a resume recitation. I think I concluded with a good balance but it wasn't easy. I'm really surprised that there isn't another space, box, form, or whatever to list awards, community service/volunteer work, professional experience, etc.. It seems like that would be beneficial information for the board to consider. I know a lot of those things inevitably make their way into various components of the package but every (non-military) job I have ever applied to has required a resume.

That was weird for me too. Just do your best to optimize block 14 and 15 of the main application. Your resume/DD214/military Evals would carry the rest.

Marko88m5

Not to belabor the point but you keep mentioning "resume." Were you allowed to submit a resume with with your package?

Yes. My OR asked for one last minute just before he submitted my package (even after he told me no at the beginning of the application process). I am sure it is not required but you can yield to your best judgment on that. If you read the board memos from prior board meetings, you would see that they stressed the importance of providing supporting documents and not leaving things ambiguous.
If your OR says no, I'll say that you should push to submit one anyway.

Last edited:

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
Yes. My OR asked for one last minute just before he submitted my package. I am sure it is not required but you can yield to your best judgment on that. If you read the board memos from prior board meetings, you would see that they stressed the importance of providing supporting documents and not leaving things ambiguous.
Not to counter what your OR is doing, but the purpose of the APSR is to streamline all RESUME data into a common format. As an OR, I always asked for a resume to be sure that nothing important was left out of the application. I stress again, the remarks section is for data that does not fit the mold. Submission of a resume as an enclosure would be redundant.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
I just looked up who the current Director of Naval Intelligence is because I was curious and it turns out it's my old CO from the Nimitz. Too bad I couldn't have gotten a LOR from him LOL

Marko88m5

Not to counter what your OR is doing, but the purpose of the APSR is to streamline all RESUME data into a common format. As an OR, I always asked for a resume to be sure that nothing important was left out of the application. I stress again, the remarks section is for data that does not fit the mold. Submission of a resume as an enclosure would be redundant.

I agree but the APSR is not all encompassing. It wouldn't hurt to have that extra clarifying piece of document especially for someone with an extensive professional background. I am sure you would know better, I just didn't feel that the APSR captured everything I wanted to report. Submitting the resume gave me that extra piece of mind.

exNavyOffRec

Yes. My OR asked for one last minute just before he submitted my package (even after he told me no at the beginning of the application process). I am sure it is not required but you can yield to your best judgment on that. If you read the board memos from prior board meetings, you would see that they stressed the importance of providing supporting documents and not leaving things ambiguous.

Thing vary depending on who is running NRC (of course sometimes processors do their own thing), but in the past once it was at NRC if there wasn't a spot for it on the OCS checklist it wasn't forwarded to the the board, and there is no spot for a resume on the OCS checklist.

psulaw0929

@NavyOffRec I apologize if you commented on this before and I just missed it but are SMART transcripts submitted with packages? If so, are they only submitted for current AD?

exNavyOffRec

I just looked up who the current Director of Naval Intelligence is because I was curious and it turns out it's my old CO from the Nimitz. Too bad I couldn't have gotten a LOR from him LOL

Given some of the issues his name has come up in, maybe not getting one from him is better?

We had a CEC candidate who's uncle was a flag officer in the CEC, a LOR from his uncle didn't help him get picked up, the kid never did get in, maybe he should have worked harder in college so he didn't have a crappy GPA.

exNavyOffRec

@NavyOffRec I apologize if you commented on this before and I just missed it but are SMART transcripts submitted with packages? If so, are they only submitted for current AD?

I never had a prior submit them with an OCS application, if there was anything valuable on them then the college would have accepted them and listed them as transfer credits.

psulaw0929

Given some of the issues his name has come up in, maybe not getting one from him is better?

We had a CEC candidate who's uncle was a flag officer in the CEC, a LOR from his uncle didn't help him get picked up, the kid never did get in, maybe he should have worked harder in college so he didn't have a crappy GPA.

True, I read about the current investigation. I was really just joking. As a lowly E-5 who spent most of his time on the ship stuck in reactor plant, I barely ever even saw the guy nevertheless interacted with him.

I would never dream of getting a LOR from a family member even if they were the Commander in Chief. lol

psulaw0929

I never had a prior submit them with an OCS application, if there was anything valuable on them then the college would have accepted them and listed them as transfer credits.

I see what you're saying. I had over 100 STEM credits on my SMART transcript from all my nuke schooling but, since I did a liberal arts degree in college, the school only accepted like six credits to cover my math and science requirement. I figured since the board seemed STEM crazed, it might be good to include them. However, I was afraid that the board wouldn't look at them since they are not on the checklist for non-AD.

exNavyOffRec

True, I read about the current investigation. I was really just joking. As a lowly E-5 who spent most of his time on the ship stuck in reactor plant, I barely ever even saw the guy nevertheless interacted with him.

I would never dream of getting a LOR from a family member even if they were the Commander in Chief. lol

I have had a few CO's that would tour the spaces once a week, so many could be identified by the CO pretty easily, that is good and bad.