• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
First off, for us fleet guys, we do not have a recruiter or anyone really advocating for us. Could be it's just a Seabee thing though where we aren't given any real help. I'd love to hear otherwise. I get the impression if you're smart enough to figure out the application process then you can apply. If not, nobody is there to make sure you've hit all the wickets. Fleet processors are awesome but very busy so that's as good as it gets. By the way, from an OR and fleet applicant perspective, civilian applications are 10 x's easier than a fleet applicant. Be appreciative. I'm sorry I digress...

We do have career counselors who have the same access to the results via Bupers Online but the results are only for those selected from our specific commands. NRC should release results to each NRD at the same time where it will include ALL selects and will list the NRD that submitted the application. The only difference is us fleet guys check every 10 minutes where your recruiter might not check for a couple days after results are posted. Hope that helps.

As far as help from commands go for fleet Sailors, not so much. I am in an aviation command and I had to pretty much do it all on my own. I set up my own officer interviews, with the exception of the IW interview I needed. I scanned and sent my own application in. I am sure that this is the same for most of us active duty peeps.

Rickblaine22

This is true. I did everything myself and I work at an IDC command. When I asked about getting the process started, you'd think no one has ever done it before...ever. There are even guys who come to me when they are applying for STA 21 or LDO because no one has a clue. I did have a lot of people who helped me tweak the final product, but as for writing personal statements, writing the CO's recommendation (yes I wrote that too), and getting all the necessary copies of awards and transcripts...like ratherbesurfing said, its almost like they make it that way on purpose as kind of a first line of defense against really unmotivated people.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
This is true. I did everything myself and I work at an IDC command. When I asked about getting the process started, you'd think no one has ever done it before...ever. There are even guys who come to me when they are applying for STA 21 or LDO because no one has a clue. I did have a lot of people who helped me tweak the final product, but as for writing personal statements, writing the CO's recommendation (yes I wrote that too), and getting all the necessary copies of awards and transcripts...like ratherbesurfing said, its almost like they make it that way on purpose as kind of a first line of defense against really unmotivated people.
Wow, don't get me started on LDO! That's another beast and talk about a glass ceiling! What you mentioned in your experience for the OCS application echoes mine almost to the letter. Honestly don't know that I would have finished my application if it weren't for my prior experience as an OR. I make it a point to help anyone who mentions OCS that is remotely competitive in completing their application so they do not suffer the same nightmare I did.

Rickblaine22

That's how it should be. To someone who is already experiencing the anxiety of even applying, it doesn't help to have everyone you talk to, INCLUDING THOSE OFFICERS WHO WENT TO OCS, tell you they don't really know how to help you, can be really discouraging. Good on you for helping out.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I am lucky enough to have a very motivated mentor who is an OCS grad. Although I did most of the leg work in my application, he was able to schedule me some really good interviews with very senior AMDOs, Pilots, and NFOs who are all in CO equivalent jobs. I had to seek out the IP officers that I wanted to interview with because there aren't many up here in the PNW, aside from those on the ships.

navyhaz

As far as help from commands go for fleet Sailors, not so much. I am in an aviation command and I had to pretty much do it all on my own. I set up my own officer interviews, with the exception of the IW interview I needed. I scanned and sent my own application in. I am sure that this is the same for most of us active duty peeps.

Airdale here. Wrote the CO's statement, set up interviews and like most of you had zero help. My command is full of ROTC and academy grads... They looked at me like a deer in headlights when asking for guidance. I feel your pain. I thought I was alone.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
Airdale here. Wrote the CO's statement, set up interviews and like most of you had zero help. My command is full of ROTC and academy grads... They looked at me like a deer in headlights when asking for guidance. I feel your pain. I thought I was alone.
It's really a shame isn't it. I think the NRD's should have to help us fleet guys. They won't answer the phone when we call because they get zero credit for helping us out.

IWhopeful

It seems we were really lucky at NIOC Texas. We had designated POC's for commissioning programs. They held a brief for all Sailors interested in STA-21 and guided them through the process, set up officer interviews, etc. They also had YNC from the CO's office do a final check on formatting before packets were sent off. The same POC's helped out those applying for OCS. It was a command sponsored process. Didn't get selected that time though. It almost seems like active duty should just stop by a recruiting office, ask for the OCS checklist and hopefully get any advice they can, if possible. Feel bad for you guys who had to go it alone.

exNavyOffRec

It's really a shame isn't it. I think the NRD's should have to help us fleet guys. They won't answer the phone when we call because they get zero credit for helping us out.

That is only some NRD's, we were told not to submit applications for fleet guys wanting to go to OCS but we can give guidance, we even reached out to some of the commands to establish a relationship with the CCC's, the real issue is that when it comes to what they look at for commands and the "golden anchor" award no one really cares about numbers sent to OCS, I have been to the CCC school, and OCS programs was covered like this "there are officer programs" that was it.

I think you will find the following amusing and sad as a former OR, I had AD come to take the ASTB who said they were applying for EOD, but the deadline had passed and he was told it was a rolling board, had a guy with I think it was a history degree applying for CEC because he was told since he was enlisted the degree didn't matter, had another guy who didn't meet the GPA minimum but was told the GPA requirement went away for those that were enlisted. They were all told these things by either either the ESO/CCC or the designated officer to work with those applying for OCS.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
That is only some NRD's, we were told not to submit applications for fleet guys wanting to go to OCS but we can give guidance, we even reached out to some of the commands to establish a relationship with the CCC's, the real issue is that when it comes to what they look at for commands and the "golden anchor" award no one really cares about numbers sent to OCS, I have been to the CCC school, and OCS programs was covered like this "there are officer programs" that was it.

I think you will find the following amusing and sad as a former OR, I had AD come to take the ASTB who said they were applying for EOD, but the deadline had passed and he was told it was a rolling board, had a guy with I think it was a history degree applying for CEC because he was told since he was enlisted the degree didn't matter, had another guy who didn't meet the GPA minimum but was told the GPA requirement went away for those that were enlisted. They were all told these things by either either the ESO/CCC or the designated officer to work with those applying for OCS.
Wow...again, one more reason NRC should be involved from start to finish with fleet applicants. I'm dismayed at the level of misinformation from sea-lawyers. I tell the guys I help to pay it forward and always come back if they have questions. As for NRD support, Los Angeles was impossible to reach anyone once they knew I was Active Duty. If you're trolling the site, thanks for nothing NRD LA.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
So, I don't know about anyone else here, but the hardest part for me was just waiting to get signed LoRs back, and that's mostly due to Captains' busy schedules. I had a buddy get picked up for IW about six months before I planned on applying, and he sent me his scrubbed application as a reference. Having a skeleton to look at, if just for formatting purposes, made a world of difference. That, and Mr. Ted W.
If the helpful apps processor NavyOffRec is referencing is Mr. Williams, I can attest to just how much easier he made the application process for me. He shot me the checklist, told me exactly what I needed and when, and gladly made himself available every time I had a question (which was VERY often).

chihon fung

The most help with my process was a fellow first who got picked up for IP. Gave me the links and his kit. I tried going down to the recruit head quarters, but really they are more specialized with civilians processing. Fleet folks are in a different ball game... our process is similar to the process of making Chief. In fact, it is my way of waiting for my selection except I get 4-5 looks a year. :D

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
So, I don't know about anyone else here, but the hardest part for me was just waiting to get signed LoRs back, and that's mostly due to Captains' busy schedules. I had a buddy get picked up for IW about six months before I planned on applying, and he sent me his scrubbed application as a reference. Having a skeleton to look at, if just for formatting purposes, made a world of difference. That, and Mr. Ted W.
If the helpful apps processor NavyOffRec is referencing is Mr. Williams, I can attest to just how much easier he made the application process for me. He shot me the checklist, told me exactly what I needed and when, and gladly made himself available every time I had a question (which was VERY often).
The greatest challenge for me as a Seabee was making solid connections to the IDC community in developing my Interview Appraisal panels. I had absolutely no help from my CCC, CoC appointed "mentor," or the local NRD as I looked to make contact within this illusive community. The greatest help I received was calling the PM in Millington (with whom I'm very grateful) who then shotgunned the XO down at the NIOC in SD to help me out. This eventually got the ball rolling but there really should be a better way. As an OR, we had half a dozen POC's at our finger tips from most every community ready and willing to help all of our applicants out who needed interviews. This is where the majority of my frustration stemmed from and the lack of support from the local NRD. Start to finish, Interviews took over five months to negotiate and conclude. Hope you all had better luck.