• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

Rickblaine22

I depends on the clearance you were interviewed for. TS/SCI is good for 5 years and Secret is good for 10. Different agencies or even workplaces may require additional things like a polygraph.

And it's more like 1 DUI. Best to not even go down that road.

aleximus

I assume all applicants to Navy Intel have the same one. It was never stated, he just said it was in regards to my Navy app and the info on my SF86, so do you know which specifically that is?

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
I would think that Navy and Air Force would require the same initial clearance since both, presumably, go through the Office of Personnel Management. However, don't forget that to be an Air Force officer you must maintain a minimum golf handicap ;). Regarding the other organization you mentioned, remember that it is strongly suggested that you not discuss having applied, especially on public internet threads.

aleximus

I will keep that in mind, but let the record show that I said "For instance if I applied...", meant to be read as "If I were to apply." :)

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
I depends on the clearance you were interviewed for. TS/SCI is good for 5 years and Secret is good for 10. Different agencies or even workplaces may require additional things like a polygraph.

And it's more like 1 DUI. Best to not even go down that road.
A DUI is bad in general, but getting one after you start the process. Whelp, that is really bad. "Lets not go down that road" is a very apt way to describe the situation.

fmrarmy1

In the meantime, I'll take this opportunity to ask a few questions that I feel weren't straightly answered by my OR, since many people here seem to have a bit of experience with this whole deal.

-If I got my security interview 3 months ago, and about 2.5 months ago was the last interview for anyone associated with me, will I hear anything back about clearance?

Unfortunately, there really is no notification of when a clearance is granted other than checking JPAS (joint personnel adjudication system) and based on past experience as a security manager even after the E-QIP system was developed the general timeframe is approximately 6-9 months up to 1 year for an initial clearance to be granted. As for your other question about it being transfered, each organization handles the clearances differently, but most of the time if you are investigated but don't get the position the clearance is inactivated and has to go through the same process again. I applied to one of the agencies, was selected and offered the position, but due to the crappy location and pay I turned it down.

This is my first post as my account was just activated and I have been waiting to go to the board for about a year now. I am prior Army Intelligence for six years and have been working civilian sector intelligence operations for the last five years. I do not have a STEM degree, but have a cumulative GPA of 4.0. My OAR was a 50 with multiple Intelligence General Officer referrals and retired O-6 letters of recommendation. I spent all of my time in the Army as an Intelligence Analyst with the special operations realm in the Army and did many tours in the joint environment with Naval and Marine Special Ops over four deployments. The majority of my background is all in the joint environment working with all branches and many civilian intelligence agencies. I was put in for Intelligence Officer identifier. My packet was submitted back in March after it set on my previous RO's desk as he was retiring and the new RO that came in picked it up and finally submitted the packet. Thus leading to the submission for the board this september. It's been a long wait and this last few weeks has seemed to drag on and on and on...

psulaw0929

I will keep that in mind, but let the record show that I said "For instance if I applied...", meant to be read as "If I were to apply." :)

If the Navy doesn't work out for you, perhaps you should consider becoming a lawyer ;)

psulaw0929

I had to get a "Secret" clearance before I could start Nuclear Power School. I remember submitting the paperwork, then waiting in the DEP program a few months while I finished high school, then going to boot camp (2 months), then six months of Nuclear Field "A" School, and then, coming up on a year later, I barely got my clearance before my NPS Class began. And many of the people I had gone to "A" School with still had not received their clearance and were placed on something called "T-Track" while they continued to wait. I don't know how long the background checks take, but in my experience, they take a long time!

fmrarmy1

I had to get a "Secret" clearance before I could start Nuclear Power School. I remember submitting the paperwork, then waiting in the DEP program a few months while I finished high school, then going to boot camp (2 months), then six months of Nuclear Field "A" School, and then, coming up on a year later, I barely got my clearance before my NPS Class began. And many of the people I had gone to "A" School with still had not received their clearance and were placed on something called "T-Track" while they continued to wait. I don't know how long the background checks take, but in my experience, they take a long time!

Usually the recruits are put in for an interim clearance that allows them to continue on with training while waiting for the final adjuciation of the clearance. Even that can take some time or if there are any mitigating circumstances identified in the background then the clearance may not be granted an interim and have to wait for the full fledged adjudication process to occur. Needless to say it can take what seems like forever...much like waiting for this board to release the results.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
The clearance you apply for with the intel program is a TS/SSBI, SCI-eligible clearance. Top dog stuff, it takes for bloody ever. Generally, they shouldn't start the SSBI (single scope background investigation) until after you've been pro-rec y (from what my OR told me). Mine accidentally got processed because the JPAS system had me being AD (which was an error). My understanding of the clearance was that until you went to intel school and started actually working in the field, the clearance was technically complete, but not 'active' (again, this is what my OR explained to me.) If the Navy didn't work out, you could technically put on your application that you hold the TS/SSBI clearance, but most groups prefer that the clearance be active, which yours would not be.

exNavyOffRec

I had to deal with this in my job in the fleet, it isn't secret it is confidential for NPS, those going to subs had to get the higher clearance before going to the boat, but they worried about that once they knew where you were going, we had many arrive on the ship after prototype and all they had was just an interim confidential.