• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

exNavyOffRec

My OR told me that I needed at least a 60 to be competitive. When I got a 63, I was disappointed and worried that it would not be competitive enough since it was on the lower side of the 60s. Then I start reading threads and it seemed as if OAR score isn't even a major factor in consideration of the whole person concept.

I'm interested in RUFiO181's comment, "We just had a TAD Ensign check onboard who is Intel. No prior enlisted experience. 3.8 GPA, history major (only bachelors degree), 64 OAR score, and an interview from an O6 intel officer." It seems as if the factors I have read that the board is looking for such as a graduate degree, STEM undergrad, and prior service weren't the case here. And things like OAR, which, as I mentioned, weren't as big a consideration, carried more weight.

I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that there really is no rhyme or reason to the board's choices.

Every person I had selected for IDC had a tech background, with very good GPA, OAR's were nothing fantastic just average, the board will always pick a variety, but historically tends to lean to tech degrees, graduate degrees and prior service, there will always be a few that get in and you will look at that stats and go "really? that doesn't make sense", but think of it this way since you are prior, I am sure you saw guys make Chief and you were going "really? WTF?"

Rickblaine22

I did see a guy score in the 99th percentile on the chiefs exam. He thought for sure he was going to be selected...so much so that he went out and bought a bunch of chief stuff (like that skull window sticker). I was so glad he DIDN'T make it. I think that is a perfect example of someone who looks awesome on paper, and would have been a terrible chief. It works both ways. I'm sure there are those who don't have the best stats and would make excellent officers. Unfortunately, there is a "game" that has to be played.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Every person I had selected for IDC had a tech background, with very good GPA, OAR's were nothing fantastic just average, the board will always pick a variety, but historically tends to lean to tech degrees, graduate degrees and prior service, there will always be a few that get in and you will look at that stats and go "really? that doesn't make sense", but think of it this way since you are prior, I am sure you saw guys make Chief and you were going "really? WTF?"

I understand what you're saying. I've heard stories of people with poor stats getting selected and people with great stats not getting selected. And I totally agree that there were a lot of people I saw make Chief and I was like, "WTF!," especially in the Nuke community where we had guys make chief in six or seven years.

Since I don't have a tech degree and you're making me sweat with your comment "Every person I had selected for IDC had a tech background," how many people are we talking? Single digits? Tens? More? Also, were most of these people IW (a designator that I feel would value more from a tech background) or an equal mix of IW and INTEL?

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
I did see a guy score in the 99th percentile on the chiefs exam. He thought for sure he was going to be selected...so much so that he went out and bought a bunch of chief stuff (like that skull window sticker). I was so glad he DIDN'T make it. I think that is a perfect example of someone who looks awesome on paper, and would have been a terrible chief. It works both ways. I'm sure there are those who don't have the best stats and would make excellent officers. Unfortunately, there is a "game" that has to be played.

From what I've heard and seen, the Chief's exam only gets you to the board; your block 43's are what sell you to the board members.
Additionally, one MC that sat one of the boards said that any board member that knows a candidate can only say constructive things about them, i.e no blackballing. They have to make their judgement based primarily on the evaluations and then the other evidence in front of them.
It's still all paper, but for that guy to go and buy uniform items in preparation for his selection based solely on his exam score... that's just confidence in ignorance at its finest.

psulaw0929

From what I've heard and seen, the Chief's exam only gets you to the board; your block 43's are what sell you to the board members.
Additionally, one MC that sat one of the boards said that any board member that knows a candidate can only say constructive things about them, i.e no blackballing. They have to make their judgement based primarily on the evaluations and then the other evidence in front of them.
It's still all paper, but for that guy to go and buy uniform items in preparation for his selection based solely on his exam score... that's just confidence in ignorance at its finest.

Wait, so you guys haven't already outfitted your entire officer sea bag? I hope I kept the receipts ;)

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Well yeah...but that's different. :)

I did buy a garrison cover officer crest to put on my desk and keep me motivated.
My wife gave me an ENS coin to get engraved with my grad date, whenever that comes.
As a thank you, I was thinking of getting a few of them made, and then sending them to everyone who has helped me a long the way.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
x2014-02-07-Strip_307_Challenge_Coins_POGs_web.gif.pagespeed.ic.OEsG8H2Cgj.png

exNavyOffRec

I understand what you're saying. I've heard stories of people with poor stats getting selected and people with great stats not getting selected. And I totally agree that there were a lot of people I saw make Chief and I was like, "WTF!," especially in the Nuke community where we had guys make chief in six or seven years.

Since I don't have a tech degree and you're making me sweat with your comment "Every person I had selected for IDC had a tech background," how many people are we talking? Single digits? Tens? More? Also, were most of these people IW (a designator that I feel would value more from a tech background) or an equal mix of IW and INTEL?

I would say right about 10, it was a mix of Intel and IW, then there were others at my NRD who had them as well, I did see a guy with a non tech degree get picked IW I believe, he did 2 years in the engineering track then switched to non tech degree.

spazzz

So all this waiting has me a little skidish. I need some encouragement, or honesty. If I have a Graduate degree in business in addition to a graduate degree in a technical field (teaching secondary mathematics) while scoring a 59 on the OAR would that be considered competitive. I am an old prior service guy so my age and the fact that I was in an ROTC program many moons ago concern me a little. My RE code is all code but you never know.

psulaw0929

So all this waiting has me a little skidish. I need some encouragement, or honesty. If I have a Graduate degree in business in addition to a graduate degree in a technical field (teaching secondary mathematics) while scoring a 59 on the OAR would that be considered competitive. I am an old prior service guy so my age and the fact that I was in an ROTC program many moons ago concern me a little. My RE code is all code but you never know.

@spazzz I'm by no means an expert, but you seem to check pretty much every box. I would be more worried about being over the max age of 42 by the time the board finally makes their selections. :)