• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
My OR told me that I needed at least a 60 to be competitive. When I got a 63, I was disappointed and worried that it would not be competitive enough since it was on the lower side of the 60s. Then I start reading threads and it seemed as if OAR score isn't even a major factor in consideration of the whole person concept.

I'm interested in RUFiO181's comment, "We just had a TAD Ensign check onboard who is Intel. No prior enlisted experience. 3.8 GPA, history major (only bachelors degree), 64 OAR score, and an interview from an O6 intel officer." It seems as if the factors I have read that the board is looking for such as a graduate degree, STEM undergrad, and prior service weren't the case here. And things like OAR, which, as I mentioned, weren't as big a consideration, carried more weight.

I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that there really is no rhyme or reason to the board's choices.

Think about what you would want in an Intel Officer. I saw someone knock a Religious Studies degree earlier. Honestly, I think History and Religion play a fundamental role in determining how societies function and is crucial in helping us to identify threats. I have a great deal of respect for the applied sciences, but when it comes to Intel, it helps to have a variety of specialties. A STEM background however is significantly more crucial when applying for IP and IW.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Think about what you would want in an Intel Officer. I saw someone knock a Religious Studies degree earlier. Honestly, I think History and Religion play a fundamental role in determining how societies function and is crucial in helping us to identify threats. I have a great deal of respect for the applied sciences, but when it comes to Intel, it helps to have a variety of specialties. A STEM background however is significantly more crucial when applying for IP and IW.

I agree, I can see how a STEM background helps IP and IW (in comparison to a non-STEM background) but I don't see how it helps in INTEL as much, yet it states in the PA for INTEL that a STEM degree is "highly preferred."

exNavyOffRec

I agree, I can see how a STEM background helps IP and IW (in comparison to a non-STEM background) but I don't see how it helps in INTEL as much, yet it states in the PA for INTEL that a STEM degree is "highly preferred."

One of the Intel officers I worked with was at an IDC brief and one of the members/moderators? wife who was at a brief relayed the same info but IW/IP/Intel are all converging on each other due to technology, at the time of the brief the long term plan was that those 3 designators would eventually be one.

aleximus

I realize I am still unsure of something. Again, I clicked a BOL link on the public Navy site, and it says my connection is not private. When the results are posted, are they going to be in a form that I will have access to? Is it a link? .doc? etc...

PensacolaBayou

One of the Intel officers I worked with was at an IDC brief and one of the members/moderators? wife who was at a brief relayed the same info but IW/IP/Intel are all converging on each other due to technology, at the time of the brief the long term plan was that those 3 designators would eventually be one.

Wonderful. I knew I should have taken Calc and Physics instead of all the Stats classes.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I realize I am still unsure of something. Again, I clicked a BOL link on the public Navy site, and it says my connection is not private. When the results are posted, are they going to be in a form that I will have access to? Is it a link? .doc? etc...

Are you currently Active Duty in the Navy? If not, than you are not able to access BOL. If you are, then you need to access it from a NMCI computer using your CAC. (There may be other ways to access it, but this is pretty much "THE" way.)

aleximus

Ok, Thanks. I just hope it isn't a situation that when the results are released everyone in the forum other than me can see them.
Looks like today's done- see your green lights tomorrow!

psulaw0929

That makes sense. I'll be curious to see whether it happens though. I remember as a Nuke (almost a decade ago) there was a lot of talk about Nuke ETs, EMs, and MMs all becoming one rate and, as far as I know, they are all still separate. Also, from what I've read, IPs, IWs, and INTEL all perform very different functions, so I would be surprised if they were replaced with a single "IDC Officer" designator. If anything, I read a report recently by a LCDR intelligence officer stressing the need for specialization, as opposed to generalization, among the naval intelligence community. He made some very valid points about the changing nature of warfare as compared with the singular-target mentality that formed during the Cold War. Instead of changing jobs, commands, etc. every few years, we would adopt a focus and develop upon that focus for the rest of our naval careers. The LCDR mentioned that the Navy depends too much on outside consultants for detailed information on a target, geographic area, terrorist organization, etc. because naval officers don't traditionally work long enough in any one position to specialize or develop an expertise. He said that the only thing currently holding us back from specialization is that present promotion potential favors officers with a broad range of assignments/experience. I can understand both sides of the argument since specialization is important to the task at hand but generalization is important to developing officers with a broad range of knowledge for strategic planning conducted at the higher echelons.

exNavyOffRec

That makes sense. I'll be curious to see whether it happens though. I remember as a Nuke (almost a decade ago) there was a lot of talk about Nuke ETs, EMs, and MMs all becoming one rate and, as far as I know, they are all still separate. Also, from what I've read, IPs, IWs, and INTEL all perform very different functions, so I would be surprised if they were replaced with a single "IDC Officer" designator. If anything, I read a report recently by a LCDR intelligence officer stressing the need for specialization, as opposed to generalization, among the naval intelligence community. He made some very valid points about the changing nature of warfare as compared with the singular-target mentality that formed during the Cold War. Instead of changing jobs, commands, etc. every few years, we would adopt a focus and develop upon that focus for the rest of our naval careers. The LCDR mentioned that the Navy depends too much on outside consultants for detailed information on a target, geographic area, terrorist organization, etc. because naval officers don't traditionally work long enough in any one position to specialize or develop an expertise. He said that the only thing currently holding us back from specialization is that present promotion potential favors officers with a broad range of assignments/experience. I can understand both sides of the argument since specialization is important to the task at hand but generalization is important to developing officers with a broad range of knowledge for strategic planning conducted at the higher echelons.

I think the jist of what they were trying to say that while they are different at this time, they are getting closer and closer due to technology, and really the officers should be managing while the enlisted who are specialized in specific areas would be doing the "grunt work", so they are making long term plans, the first step is what is happening with the 60/40 split of tech to non tech selections.

They are still 3 rates, what they were talking about was indeed making one nuke rate, but it would have had 3 specialties, Mechanical, Electrical, and Electronics, so in reality nothing would have changed. I believe that is why it never went forward, it would have just been a paperwork snuffle.

psulaw0929

I think the jist of what they were trying to say that while they are different at this time, they are getting closer and closer due to technology, and really the officers should be managing while the enlisted who are specialized in specific areas would be doing the "grunt work", so they are making long term plans, the first step is what is happening with the 60/40 split of tech to non tech selections.

I see what you are saying. Technology is taking over everything and the U.S. has fallen behind globally with regards to individuals with STEM backgrounds.

PettyOfficerCJ

I worked pretty closely with a couple of the fleet processors in finalizing my package (They were definitely a lot of help.), and so I felt comfortable enough to write one of them and ask what the status on the board was........ He replied back to me this morning (Hawaii time) that the board had still not given the results to them (as of today) yet so that they could process them and put them out to everyone....... He told me to message him again on Tuesday to see what news he had.

I was talking to a Warrant Officer today, and he told me how one board (I believe a Senior Chief board a couple years ago) had an extended delay like this because the results were compromised before they were officially released by the board. So, they had to call in a whole new set of board members and redo the entire board....... Not saying that's what happened here, but it was comforting to hear that there could be many reasons why a board was delaying giving out results.

navyhaz

I worked pretty closely with a couple of the fleet processors in finalizing my package (They were definitely a lot of help.), and so I felt comfortable enough to write one of them and ask what the status on the board was........ He replied back to me this morning (Hawaii time) that the board had still not given the results to them (as of today) yet so that they could process them and put them out to everyone....... He told me to message him again on Tuesday to see what news he had.

I was talking to a Warrant Officer today, and he told me how one board (I believe a Senior Chief board a couple years ago) had an extended delay like this because the results were compromised before they were officially released by the board. So, they had to call in a whole new set of board members and redo the entire board....... Not saying that's what happened here, but it was comforting to hear that there could be many reasons why a board was delaying giving out results.

fuck-this-shit-bill-murray-golfing.jpg