• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Maybe this is destined for the "stupid questions about Naval Aviation" thread, but when you are out there on station for 12 hrs, what do you do to pass the time? Are you busy, or is there a lot of down time? Obviously I'm not looking for any OPSEC-violating info here, but it seems like a lot of time to be up there.

Are guys still in the practice of knocking the a/p on and writing letters/reading books?

also: my somewhat less-cool addition to the picture gallery.

n735810801_511657_3378.jpg

Tom

pilot
Contributor
SNA picture for 5 Aug 2008

attachment.php

A division of T-34C Turbomentors.

Attachments

• PIC_0056.JPG
    PIC_0056.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 800

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Hey Squeeze, I was out on the line the other day looking at a Harrier, what the hell is that thing in the nose, looks like an IRST or seeker head?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Squeeze, I was out on the line the other day looking at a Harrier, what the hell is that thing in the nose, looks like an IRST or seeker head?

You're probably referring to the Dual Mode Tracker (DMT) in the nose of a Night Attack variant. It has a 6X TV Camera and Laser Spot tracker both tied to an Angle Rate Bombing System (ARBS) that uses a laser spot or contrast to lock onto a point, compute angular rate change, and use that to accurately solve HAT for the bombing triangle. It's a pretty accurate system, but has largely been replaced/outdated by the Litening Pod.

It can be slaved to an INS designation, a laser spot, a contrast lock, or the AIM-9 boresight.

Edit: Or, you're talking about the bump on the nose of both the Radar or Night Attack variants... which is a Navigational FLIR with selectable FOVs fixed about the AC waterline. You can project the FLIR image into the HUD as well.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 6 Aug 2008

F14A4return.jpg

Section of VF-301 F-14A Tomcats is joined by a VC-13 TA-4J Skyhawk over San Diego's Mission Valley as they return to NAS Miramar (mid-right edge of photo) from an ACM hop in W-291. circa 1986.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm rather disappointed with the lack of P-3 representation here. There's got to be some good action shots out there, right?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You're probably referring to the Dual Mode Tracker (DMT) in the nose of a Night Attack variant. It has a 6X TV Camera and Laser Spot tracker both tied to an Angle Rate Bombing System (ARBS) that uses a laser spot or contrast to lock onto a point, compute angular rate change, and use that to accurately solve HAT for the bombing triangle. It's a pretty accurate system, but has largely been replaced/outdated by the Litening Pod.

It can be slaved to an INS designation, a laser spot, a contrast lock, or the AIM-9 boresight.

Edit: Or, you're talking about the bump on the nose of both the Radar or Night Attack variants... which is a Navigational FLIR with selectable FOVs fixed about the AC waterline. You can project the FLIR image into the HUD as well.

Somebody has been studying for their section lead test........:D

Flugelman

Contributor
I'm rather disappointed with the lack of P-3 representation here. There's got to be some good action shots out there, right?

Gimme a couple of days, I've got to dig out some old slides and try to scan them.

Orion4life

Nice Orion pics. I have very few originals, but I'll have to wait a week or so before I can find them and post.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The problem is that when you're flying around doing your thing, there is rarely a wingman in another P-3 hanging around to take your picture.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helo pic for today

The "big'n"

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 67

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
P-3 photos?

Okay, these aren't P-3Cs...but if you want to go a bit old school in MPR land...that's about as action-packed as it gets in VQ

Attachments

• EC-121M.jpg
    EC-121M.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 81
  • EP-3 Big Look lowered.jpg
    EP-3 Big Look lowered.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 90
Status
Not open for further replies.