• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but repairs to fix the damage from the mishap itself, or repairs necessitated by disassembling/reassembling the airplane because the "host" country was being a buncha dicks?

Pops told me a story about flying H-34s in Veet Nam. VC shot out the oil reservoir (apparently very lucky shot through the one tiny hole in the H-34's nose that wasn't armored). HAC auto'ed and set it down without any more damage. Couple days later, another helo comes in to sling-lift it out and back to Da Nang. While trying to set it down, the lifting helo's HAC seriously misjudges the wind and winds up dragging the mishap H-34 all over the tarmac. Damn thing catches on fire and is completely destroyed. I think they managed to fudge it out as a "combat loss," but seriously, can you imagine writing up the mishap report on that one? And how would you add up the repair costs, if the original mishap a/c hadn't been destroyed?

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Final mishap classification is based on how much money is actually spent on the repairs.

Dollar-wise...between chartering the Antonov and running the chop shop on Lingshui...then putting her back together again...easily a Class A. To tell the truth, I'm not sure if the Safety Center ever listed this one...I'll have to check their back files.

By the way, that aircraft (with a "new" set of wings) is back flying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd have to dig in the 3750, but I'm pretty sure salvage costs are not part of the mishap.

Fester's helo scenario has me wondering, though. I think the mishap cost can increase DUE TO salvage, it makes me wonder if the shot helo's command would actually have to do anything. I guess the answer would lie with whomever's CO was the more senior. I'd say I'd look it up tomorrow, but to be honest, I don't care that much.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the way, that aircraft (with a "new" set of wings) is back flying.
The EP-3 community doesn't have a hair on their collective ass if they didn't put a MiG-21 silhouette on the nose . . . :D:D

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 8 Aug 2008

f4sunset.jpg

Sunset on the Phantom.
VF-301 F-4S over the Pacific Ocean in W-291 west of San Diego in 1984, just before the squadron transitioned to the F-14A Tomcat.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what was the Chinese Midair incident? Not considered a mishap?

It is not listed as a Class A. I imagine that they do not count the costs associated with moving it in the mishap cost. She is still flying, sans the original vertical stab that is in the Whidbey O Club.

It was a J-8, but your point still stands...

J/F-8II Finback B/D to be exact.......so there!

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
^^ I just saw that earlier today. Was wondering why anyone would put a vert-stab in a club

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd have to dig in the 3750, but I'm pretty sure salvage costs are not part of the mishap.

Fester's helo scenario has me wondering, though. I think the mishap cost can increase DUE TO salvage, it makes me wonder if the shot helo's command would actually have to do anything. I guess the answer would lie with whomever's CO was the more senior. I'd say I'd look it up tomorrow, but to be honest, I don't care that much.

I don't remember hearing that salvage costs were part of the mishap. I think it's just repair costs.

My gut feeling for the helo scenario is that the squadron doing the actual destroying would be responsible, but i think that turd would be pushed around a fair bit.

It reminds me of a story I've heard of a Phrog that had a hard landing, suffered some damage, but was still repairable. So, they get the Army to come put it on a truck to drive it out of the desert. In transit, the Army forgets to check bridge clearance and destroys what's left of the phrog when they crunch it into a bridge.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
My gut feeling for the helo scenario is that the squadron doing the actual destroying would be responsible, but i think that turd would be pushed around a fair bit.

Safety center could make a call, but in general the ARC owns a mishap - even if another squadron's pilots were flying it (unless you had a MOA saying something different).

Status
Not open for further replies.