• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blutonski816

I know that back in the day that there were NAFs all over the country...but I would have never thought Detroit!

Where else would you find people who love a souped-up motor like a P-408 on an A-4??

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 17 Aug 2008

VF301_101Bank.jpg

VF-301 showbird (ND 101) banks away on a flight in W-291. Circa 1986.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 18 Aug 2008

VA304A7Trap.jpg

VA-304 A-7E traps on board USS Ranger (CV-61) during the January 1986 CVWR-30 AcDuTra det.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
VA304A7Trap.jpg

VA-304 A-7E traps on board USS Ranger (CV-61) during the January 1986 CVWR-30 AcDuTra det.

Looks like an A-7B to me -- check the gun ports. The squadron switched to -E's later in the year, so I suspect a "January 1986" CQ Det was still flyin' the -B model which appear to be the case here ...

PLUS .... after flyin' the A-7E, the squadron switched to A-6's (-E's and KA's) in JUL/AUG '88 time frame ... :eek: ... quite a feat for jet 'RONS in the '70's-'80's Navy as she became the 1st NAVAIRRES 'RON to do so .... :)

I knew and flew w/ 3-4 of the squadron's COs.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since a couple people asked for some more inflight/cockpit shots, here you go.

The cockpit itself...
Cockpit.jpg

Cloud surfing one fine WestPac day
CloudSurfing2.jpg

A buddy marshalling below me
fasm.jpg

More Iraq silly circles up north
upnorth.jpg

-2 at the tanker
bkttank.jpg

Leaving the tanker
dashtwo.jpg

Back to the tanker
bkttank2.jpg

Sunset over Iraq
cockpitsunset.jpg

Posing for a photo
bank.jpg

...and a more earth-based one. For all of you wondering exactly what the bullseye of Shadetree looks like, wonder no more.
shadetree.jpg

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Looks like an A-7B to me -- check the gun ports. The squadron switched to -E's later in the year, so I suspect a "January 1986" CQ Det was still flyin' the -B model which appear to be the case here ...

PLUS .... after flyin' the A-7E, the squadron switched to A-6's (-E's and KA's) in JUL/AUG '88 time frame ... :eek: ... quite a feat for jet 'RONS in the '70's-'80's Navy as she became the 1st NAVAIRRES 'RON to do so .... :)

I knew and flew w/ 3-4 of the squadron's COs.

Absolutely correct... the squadron didn't get A-7Es until September of that year.
+1 for eagle eyes... however, it wasn't a CQ det... it was AcDuTra (Active Duty for Training), and the air wing spent two weeks floating in the fog on board Ranger underway in W-291. Came in earlier that expected on Sunday so that the crew could watch the Super Bowl (Bears killed the Patriots that year 46-10...)

I did get one hop in one of their KA-6Ds in 1990 at Fallon.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^ That was a good year for football. Steve Grogan and Irving Fryar never had a chance in that Super Bowl.

377736166_a18ef25954.jpg

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 19 Aug 2008

InstApp.jpg

VF-301 F-14A on a section instrument approach to NAS Miramar.

Status
Not open for further replies.