• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
VMFA531FA18A22Feb86.jpg

VMFA-531 F/A-18A clears the coast near Del Mar on a Seawolf departure from NAS Miramar into W-291, 22 February 1986.

The squadron had just transitioned to the Hornet. Note the lack of any pylons or other drag inducers on the a/c.

Check out the black nose... didn't take long for them to play with the gun! I still love shooting that thing. That really is an old picture, no LEX fences, RWR gear, FLIR mount, antennas are all weird, etc.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 23 Aug 2008

EA6A_F14AAug85.jpg

VAQ-309 EA-6A and VF-301 F-14A, W-291 returning to Miramar, Aug 1985.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NAS Fallon perspectives from this week

In the weeds so-to-speak
Intheweeds.jpg

Hummer break
Hawkeyebreak.jpg

First NSAWC MH-60S now in service
FirstNSAWCSierras.jpg

Prowler man-up
Prowlerman-up.jpg

Side no 73 at speed
Sideno73.jpg

Longhorn hover
LonghornUH-1N.jpg

Lead swap
Leadswap.jpg

Impressive
NSAWCheloAerobraking.jpg

HJ Photos

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that the "old" hangar at the south end of the airfield complex .... ??? The one that used to be the transient ramp ... ??? Thanx.

In June-July, the P-3C and Air Force big wings used that ramp. Airlifts still stage out of there and the teenie weenies are off to left with a forlorn S-3B destined for petting zoo.

Yep, but with two, count 'em two, 60 squadrons participating in the Air Wing event and NSAWC adding two more to their inventory, meguesses that's gotta be a record number of both 60 series type helos and variants at Fallon during any event so that ramp was supporting the two fleet squadrons.

Two 60s pass over helo ramp

Helos.jpg

NSAWC Helo lineup

NSAWCHelolineup.jpg

Prowler lineup

Prowlerline.jpg

HJ Photos

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Lead swap
Leadswap.jpg

Those are Romeos. I got an email the other day from a buddy I cruised with who's out there w/ -41 right now and he mentioned they were flying. I'm surprised they're actually "up," from what he's said.

B

Blutonski816

A trio of AV-8Bs from VX-31 at KLAS.

102_2854.jpg

Of note is that DD-83 (w/ Radar!!) and DD-80 are carrying the LITENING pods on the centerline (which I thought was odd, since in most Harrier pics I've seen they're on a wing station). Squeeze, Harrier Dude, any words to satisfy my curiosity?
102_2856.jpg

102_2860.jpg

You can kinda see the outline of the Dust Devil left behind by the corrosion control folks.
102_2862.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those are Romeos. I got an email the other day from a buddy I cruised with who's out there w/ -41 right now and he mentioned they were flying. I'm surprised they're actually "up," from what he's said.

Indeed, from our ringside vantage point, we saw Romeos from HSM-71, Sierras from NSAWC and HSC-8 and occasional NSAWC Foxtrot whizzing by and hanging around now and then. Note readily noticeable ID feature between H and S variants (close to tail rotor a la Army) and B/F/Romeo (close to main fuselage). Don't know how 41 is doing, but 71 and 8 folks were out daily, but mostly at night.

Romeo

Lowfly-by.jpg

Sierra

NSAWCSierralowfly-by.jpg

Eightball Ramp

Eightballshowbirdonramp.jpg

HJ Photos

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

41 has mostly bromeos - they only have one new production though the next few will go to them when the fleet finally gets an AVC (active vibe system) flight clearance. 71 has all new production (166520-530 with P3I complete) so they are in a much better position. Add in the fact that 71 is top of the heap for parts and you can see why 41 would struggle.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
A trio of AV-8Bs from VX-31 at KLAS.

102_2854.jpg

Of note is that DD-83 (w/ Radar!!) and DD-80 are carrying the LITENING pods on the centerline (which I thought was odd, since in most Harrier pics I've seen they're on a wing station). Squeeze, Harrier Dude, any words to satisfy my curiosity?

Up until recently, station 5 (right inboard pylon) was the only station to support the Litening pod. It has to do with hardware (video and 1760 bus line and OSCAR MC) and software (C1 to H2.0).

The current jets have H4.0, but one of the biggest improvements with H5.0 will be centerline Litening pods. Those are being tested at China Lake right now. The obvious advantage is sensor FOV and additional weapons stations for bombs and tanks. It will also let us ease up on inherent asymmetry.

H5.0 will be really nice.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Is there any reason only one has radar? I thought all our AV-8Bs were radar equipped.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...PC load letter...

The obvious advantage is sensor FOV...

Technically, wouldn't it be Field of Regard?

41 has mostly bromeos - they only have one new production though the next few will go to them when the fleet finally gets an AVC (active vibe system) flight clearance. 71 has all new production (166520-530 with P3I complete) so they are in a much better position. Add in the fact that 71 is top of the heap for parts and you can see why 41 would struggle.

Interesting. I didn't realize they went ahead w/ the FrankenHelo idea. I thought that was out long ago when all the airframes were found to be so "old." I suppose that does make sense as to why there are issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.