• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster

FallonBreak.jpg

Into the break at Fallon at dusk, CVWR-30 1987 det.

Another unreal sunset. I was talking with my old man about seeing stuff like this when he was up there. I'm jealous...

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 20 Aug 2008

DesertBank.jpg

Tomcat on a VR route over the eastern California desert, circa 1986.

JTB7

pengiun.jpg

020723-N-9536A-006 Pacific Ocean off the Coast of Okinawa, Japan (Jul. 23, 2002) -- Helicopter Antisubmarine Light Five One (HSL-51) fires an AGM-119 “Penguin” anti-ship missile from an SH-60B “Sea Hawk” helicopter, during aircrew weapon certifications. HSL-51 is home based at the forward deployed naval facility in Atsugi, Japan, with detachments operating out of Kadena Air Force Base in Okinawa. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate 2nd Class Lisa Aman. (RELEASED)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^That pic is pretty dated...I don't think the penguin ever worked like it was supposed to. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been in our inventory since then 2002. Maybe some LAMPS bubbas could chime in.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
^That pic is pretty dated...I don't think the penguin ever worked like it was supposed to. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been in our inventory since then 2002. Maybe some LAMPS bubbas could chime in.

Well, to be fair it is dated 2002 :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Correct. 2002 was pretty much it. I think -51 had the last shot (may be it above). -37 had one of the last evolutions. I don't use the word "shots" because not all of the weapon left the rail. It did have a cool 15 degree offset though...fortunately the motor didn't fire and they landed on San Clemente safely.

The Penguin was actually a capable missile, they just sat around in the inventory for so long that they ended up breaking a lot in the end. We bought the weapon system but weren't allowed to (or didn't) buy the maintenance pubs that goes along with it.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
So I've noted the lack of TCS in a few of your pics. What's the deal with that?

This was in the early days of the mod... and we only had three or four of them for the whole 12-plane squadron. Plus, the aircraft we had were all 158xxx and very early 159xxx BuNo aircraft... some of them were the original VF-1 and VF-2 aircraft that were delivered in 1972/73. We still had the old "coffee grinder" radios in the back seat, instead of the nice digital UHF radios.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 21 Aug 2008

VMFA531FA18A22Feb86.jpg

VMFA-531 F/A-18A clears the coast near Del Mar on a Seawolf departure from NAS Miramar into W-291, 22 February 1986.

The squadron had just transitioned to the Hornet. Note the lack of any pylons or other drag inducers on the a/c.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Correct. 2002 was pretty much it. I think -51 had the last shot (may be it above). -37 had one of the last evolutions. I don't use the word "shots" because not all of the weapon left the rail. It did have a cool 15 degree offset though...fortunately the motor didn't fire and they landed on San Clemente safely.

The Penguin was actually a capable missile, they just sat around in the inventory for so long that they ended up breaking a lot in the end. We bought the weapon system but weren't allowed to (or didn't) buy the maintenance pubs that goes along with it.

Ofcourse not, that'd make too much sense.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 22 Aug 2008

InitialatFallon.jpg

Tomcats approaching the Fallon initial for the break, summer 1987

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Don't you have any pictures of F-14's? :)

I.e., the biggest target in the fight ... ???? :)

Most of my slides of other aircraft are in the archives at Tailhook HQ in San Diego... Just wait until November when I get back there on a visit... the scanner will be blazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.