• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Technically, wouldn't it be Field of Regard?

Interesting. I didn't realize they went ahead w/ the FrankenHelo idea. I thought that was out long ago when all the airframes were found to be so "old." I suppose that does make sense as to why there are issues.

I think it's the other way around. Both H-1 Upgrades and Romeo program initially planned to take existing airframes (AH-1/UH-1 and SH-60B/F respectively) and upgrade them to AH-1Z/UH-1Y and MH-60R. It was after they started looking at first inductions that they realized airframes weren't as healthy as expected making new builds more affordable. Consequently, a few examples of original plan did get produced before production could ramp up for new builds.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What you said is what I meant, HJ, just poorly worded on my part. I just didn't know they actually built a few "legacy" Romeos that made it all the way to the fleet.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any reason only one has radar? I thought all our AV-8Bs were radar equipped.

If I had to WAG it, I'd say 60-70% of the operational fleet are Radar birds, with the other 30-40% being Night Attacks. All of the B-birds at the RAG are Night Attacks - they gave away their last Radar jet when I was a student.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sightings at NAS Oceana in late July

Starfighters arrive

PicturesAugust2008083.jpg

Starfighter-1.jpg

Starfighterhangar.jpg

PicturesAugust2008085.jpg

PicturesAugust2008095.jpg

VFA-211.jpg

PicturesAugust2008024.jpg

HJ Photos

B

Blutonski816

So you're not a fan of their CAG bird?

Oh, I am... but its nice seeing the other birds in something more than just the old Gray-on-Gray

Not to mention the Tomcat-era Stripes on the tails and Full checkerboards on the rudder surfaces.

Although I think they could stand to put the "Bluto" mascot on the tails too, not just on the drop tanks
:D:D

Great pics, hj...

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
heard through the grapevine the checkmates won mutha. guess the dogs efforts turned out to be futile...:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heard through the grapevine the checkmates won mutha. guess the dogs efforts turned out to be futile...:D

Just happened upon a 103 get together at local watering hole a week ago Friday and they had both the Bones and Mutha on display. Apparently, they never gave up Mutha in the infamous trade (103 got a reasonable facsimile).

Bones and Tanuki on dispaly a week ago Friday

Bones.jpg

Jolly Roger JO points out distinguishing feature of the real Mutha trophy; accept no substitutes!

Mutha-1.jpg

Triumphant Jolly Roger JOs with their trophies

Trophies.jpg

HJ Photos

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Desert Storm burning oil fields....pic by me. Soot and stuff got on our jets and into our ECS systems. It was like flying through hell.

DN-SC-93-03891.jpg

Another of my favorites....direct hit. Pic also by me.

DN-SC-93-00993.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.