• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anybody opposed to some AF pics from when I worked the line? Not sure since it isn't Naval Air.:icon_wink
Let 'er rip ... the AF is good ... even if somewhat dysfunctional. :D

I still remember that BLACKBIRD driver who wet himself after going into FALLON on some kine' emergency .... he went to the transient ramp at the south end of the airfield and thought he'd be "secure" there ... :) ... but the transient ramp is where we went after landing -- as a result he almost had a coronary when we walked up to his still "warm" jet and touched it w/ our pinky's while he was hopping up
and down, threatening to shoot us, and swallowing his tongue ... :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What really, really amazes me is the number and quantity of HELO's @ FALLON in the pix you boys provide ... in the ol' days, there were NO HELO's @ FALLON, except for the local SAR boys or the occasional transient ...

Progress .... :)

No kidding. It was a topic of discussion out there with two, count 'em two, fleet squadrons and NSAWC adding two more to its complement of four and then there's the Longhorn contingent as well as other visitors....

Like moths to the light...

JetRanger.jpg

They're everywhere!!!

Helosgalore.jpg

Running out of room on NSAWC rotary flightline

NSAWCRotaryline.jpg

Local Longhorn

Longhornoverheloflightline.jpg

And to partially answer Dev; lot's of Hellfire captive carry and even some live fire for those so lucky...of course they had a strong showing at the club. Some might say they owned it most nights.

MH-60R.jpg

HJ Photo

B

Blutonski816

Death Rattler section taxi to duty runway

IMG_2271.jpg

HJ Photos

Snake 210 was part of the crowd when the sextet of 323 Hornets were at McCarran the other week

102_2729.jpg

Once again, cool pics, HJ...

especially that Sundowner F-5

Edit:
and I'm guessing by their presence for those workups that 323 will deploying with CVW-9?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Edit: and I'm guessing by their presence for those workups that 323 will deploying with CVW-9?
Not a question that should be asked or answered on this site. (And it doesn't matter if you can find the answer elsewhere in an open / unclassified source.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And to partially answer Dev; lot's of Hellfire captive carry and even some live fire for those so lucky...of course they had a strong showing at the club. Some might say they owned it most nights.

I wonder if it's mostly a way for them to field test the Romeo with common ape-like pilots and not super-human VX/HX pilots. I guess if you have to get everyone in a squadron M3 (or whatever the requisite level is), it takes a lot of flying, but when one of the squadrons is -41, I still don't get the level of activity.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still don't get the level of activity.

There were various SPECOPS scenarios going down continuously and NSAWC helos acting as bad guys during CSAR. Saw many other guest players coming and going from FRS, Weps schools and wings. Helos folks were pretty wrung out when flight ops were concluded in early AM.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There were various SPECOPS scenarios going down continuously and NSAWC helos acting as bad guys during CSAR. Saw many other guest players coming and going from FRS, Weps schools and wings. Helos folks were pretty wrung out when flight ops were concluded in early AM.

Copy all. But the fat kids were probably not doing A LOT of that stuff, no matter what the NSAWC dorks say.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I have a buddy that was a prior F-14 ordy who's now a P-3 DH tell me that the reason glove vanes went away was that despite the fact that they were onlyto be extended by the computer at high mach #s...the pilots figured out that if they popped them manually during a slow speed ACM furball that the jet was going to turn a little better, ( like a little mini-canard)...Grumman didn't design the glove vane for that and they started showing up with lots of cracks from ACM evidently.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a buddy that was a prior F-14 ordy who's now a P-3 DH tell me that the reason glove vanes went away was that despite the fact that they were onlyto be extended by the computer at high mach #s...the pilots figured out that if they popped them manually during a slow speed ACM furball that the jet was going to turn a little better, ( like a little mini-canard)...Grumman didn't design the glove vane for that and they started showing up with lots of cracks from ACM evidently.

They were used during bombing to help stabilize the jet. Wings went to 55 and vanes came out when you set the wings to "Bomb." Never heard any issues of cracks.

They were another maintenance issue so they were mostly tagged out. The F-14D had none.

When you put the wings to aft you could roll out the glove vanes with the DLC knob (IIRC) and the jet made an awesome sound in the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.