• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. you've got some beautiful pics from the '70s. They had cameras back then? :eek::D

Barely... had to use glass negatives and flash powder... shot photos alongside Mathew Brady...

... actually... a Petri 7S 35mm on the '73 cruise which was replaced by an Olympus OM-1 on the '74 cruise. Also shot some medium format (120) photos with a Richoh twin-lens reflex. After 1977 used OM-2 (35-135 zoom) and a Pentax 6X7 (120/220).

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Jugs...

27284.jpg

and Fugs..

27282.jpg

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 16 Sep 2008

107waveoff.jpg

Waveoff.... fouled deck!

VF-154 F-4J ... USS Ranger (CVA-61) ... 1974

B

Blutonski816

^^ I'm going to take a wild guess and say it has to do with the fact that it sits right between the exhausts... methinks the heat from living between J79s would require a thicker, more resilient hook...
*shrug*
just thinking out loud...

Renegade One

None
107waveoff.jpg

Waveoff.... fouled deck!

I'm impressed by the dutiful RIO...already head-down on the AWG-10 looking for the recovery tanker!

And, man! Those old gloss-finish "poly" paintjobs sure were easy to keep clean...

Flugelman

Contributor
107waveoff.jpg

Waveoff.... fouled deck!

From the exhaust plume, it lookes like he is at MRT. Would you normally go into burner for thet evolution or was MRT enough? Inquiring minds want to know... :icon_tong

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
From the exhaust plume, it lookes like he is at MRT. Would you normally go into burner for thet evolution or was MRT enough? Inquiring minds want to know... :icon_tong

Max fuel on the ball was 5.1 (5,100 pounds of JP-5). MRT was more than enough to power out of a descent. Of course, at night sometimes the pilot wanted to make sure that the aircraft had a positive rate of climb, and would select burner.
The F-4J carried 13.3 internal and another 5.0 in the centerline.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Max fuel on the ball was 5.1 (5,100 pounds of JP-5). MRT was more than enough to power out of a descent. Of course, at night sometimes the pilot wanted to make sure that the aircraft had a positive rate of climb, and would select burner.
The F-4J carried 13.3 internal and another 5.0 in the centerline.

How long was that good for?

I always go to blower on wave offs (usually because paddles is screaming at the top of his lungs), traps, and cats. Personal program, technique only.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
How long was that good for?

I always go to blower on wave offs (usually because paddles is screaming at the top of his lungs), traps, and cats. Personal program, technique only.

Point of order... the F-4's 600-gallon centerline only held 4K of fuel (poor memory on my part) ...

Going into burner in the F-4 could run you out of gas in a hurry. I remember someone saying that the two J79s in burner could drain a full bag of gas (17K or so) in less than 15 minutes.

Tanker posit!!!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:)
Point of order... the F-4's 600-gallon centerline only held 4K of fuel (poor memory on my part) ...

Going into burner in the F-4 could run you out of gas in a hurry. I remember someone saying that the two J79s in burner could drain a full bag of gas (17K or so) in less than 15 minutes.

Tanker posit!!!

True.

IIRC, a static F-4 in full blower burned 1500# per minute!
Thus 'statically', a fully fueled with centerline tank F-4 on deck in max AB would run out of gas in 11.8 minutes!
(17,677lbs / 1500lbs burn-per-minute).

Of course airborne fuel flow was less…… but not all that much less, low altitude.

It was very rare as you said for an F-4 to go burner on a wave-off or bolter. Just didn't need to.

However it was not all that infrequent to see someone briefly tap the burners on a bad night on a waveoff……. Or occasionally in the wires........... which led to howls of laughter from the RR's packed, popcorn eating, pre-night's movie, plat-camera-watching, ersatz LSOs. :D

BTW, we usually had many tankers..... A-3s, A-6s, and A7s airborne. 'cuz we were always thirsty. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.