• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 18 Sep 2008

212Cat.jpg

VF-21 F-4J in tension on Ranger, 1974

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Cripes, what's that inboard flap setting 80- degrees? Looks like it would give a lot more drag than lift.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are the cables under the rear of the jet for, is it part of a holdback system?

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
What are the cables under the rear of the jet for, is it part of a holdback system?

The thing coming straight back and hooking into the deck is the holdback bar. It was articulated in the middle and the deck crew put the frangible holdback fitting into the end of it and then hooked it into a slot that was in a door that came out of the keel area between the engines. The cables running straight down were attached to the holdback bar to keep it in the general area of the cat when it fired.
After the cat fired, the holdback broke and a part of the holdback remained in the aircraft. The other end of it was removed from the holdback bar and chucked overboard (or kept for a souvenir). A new holdback was then inserted into the holdback bar and the process repeated for the next aircraft. Holdbacks for each type of aircraft were of a different color and a different shape.
I'll try to post a picture of a holdback (when I get to my camera...)

Renegade One

None
Cripes, what's that inboard flap setting 80- degrees? Looks like it would give a lot more drag than lift.

Ah, yes..but the flaps (both LE and TE when "full down") were augmented by BLC...Boundary Layer Control...hot bleed air from the compressor section (I think) that was "blown" over the flaps to keep the boundary layer adhered to the surfaces much better than would normally have been the case. It's all coming back to me now...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The thing coming straight back and hooking into the deck is the holdback bar. It was articulated in the middle and the deck crew put the frangible holdback fitting into the end of it and then hooked it into a slot that was in a door that came out of the keel area between the engines. The cables running straight down were attached to the holdback bar to keep it in the general area of the cat when it fired.
After the cat fired, the holdback broke and a part of the holdback remained in the aircraft. The other end of it was removed from the holdback bar and chucked overboard (or kept for a souvenir). A new holdback was then inserted into the holdback bar and the process repeated for the next aircraft. Holdbacks for each type of aircraft were of a different color and a different shape.
I'll try to post a picture of a holdback (when I get to my camera...)

cat3fq5.jpg

The souvenir…… remaining half of the holdback tension bar… makes a nice paperweight:

holdback1yd5.jpg

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Army Green

Love the thread and all the kick ass photos. Here's a couple of AH-64D photos from The Wolfpack. The lead two are brand new birds from the factory. The last is a sunset pic in Iraq.

Attachments

• Mesa flight HSV.jpg
    Mesa flight HSV.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Lead Break New 64 small.jpg
    Lead Break New 64 small.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Sunset 64 IZ.jpg
    Sunset 64 IZ.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 100

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Holdbacks

Holdbacks.jpg

From back in the day of one-time use holdbacks. From left: E-2, F-4 (unused), F-4 (used... this part stayed in the aircraft), E-1B (used).

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Even now when I look at those things it amazes me that was the only thing keeping a 50K plane in full AB from scooting off the side of the deck while in tension.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I picked up this half of a holdback fitting when I was aboard the Lincoln for a few days back in '04. Anyone know what a/c it's for?

holdback.jpg

B

Blutonski816

I picked up this half of a holdback fitting when I was aboard the Lincoln for a few days back in '04. Anyone know what a/c it's for?

holdback.jpg

Well, I'm gonna guess... T-2??

why else would such an archaic piece of equipment be on such a modern CVN?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holdbacks.jpg

From back in the day of one-time use holdbacks. From left: E-2, F-4 (unused), F-4 (used... this part stayed in the aircraft), E-1B (used).

Funny thing is that the E-2C, C-2A and EA-6B use the same holdbacks. I have several white ones at home from my C-2 and EA-6B flights.....but I only have one whole one.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.