• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Relieving the Gauntlets as in 136 is becoming a CONUS squadron or Deactivation?

CONUS Squadron is the word. From what all of the briefs I've sat in on have said, none of the squadrons will be deactivated.

But like I say, nothing in the Navy is 100% until its already happened, and even then its questionable.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I still can't get my head around a 4-plane "squadron". The last Whidbey A-6 squadron fly-in had 4 diamonds of 4 each in one big diamond = 16 total. Oh, well .... :)

And I should know this, but to save me lookin' it up -- will the "new squadrons" have 4 (6?) aircraft ... ???

HuggyU2

None
VAQ-209 will not be getting any Growlers and will disestablish when the Navy gets out of Prowlers in 2013.
Huh?! Sorry for the bad info: I have an AF bud who got hired by them about 8 months ago. Thanks for the update. I'll have to call and find out what will happen to his billet/assignment. I believe he's at Whidbey in training right now (in the Prowler).

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Relieving the Gauntlets as in 136 is becoming a CONUS squadron or Deactivation?

I believe that the Gauntlets will remain in CVW 5, but will be completing an aircraft swap with 141. 132 was supposed to do the aircraft swap, but that appt was delayed by the GW.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have any info as to how we're gonna compensate for having 2 fewer crew members in the aircraft? Pretty much all I could find to answer the questions was "the systems will take care of it".

The answer is that the pilots are going to have A LOT of work to do. They (we) are no longer going to be able to simply drive the bus. The nice thing though is that we will be trained to and capable of doing just about everything the guy in the back is doing. If I were an ECMO/WSO and I knew the pilot could make jx assignments and harm packages, I would want to make sure that I was REALLY good at it myself (watch E2/E3 get all sorts of pissed when the pilot starts fooling around in an ICAP III jet now). My thought is that this and the fact that the number of NFO seats is being reduced is going to mean that if you're not a superb / break out ECMO/WSO your days are numbered. The community will no longer be able to 'hide' its weak players (and there are A LOT of 'em out there) in a four person crew. All that being said, much more is going to be expected from the pilots - however I contend that you have a lot of pilots in the fleet that are itching for something more to do than simply take off and land.

It will be nice to get away from the "its an NFO's community" mindset that gets ingrained as early as VT-4/10/86. A little parity is never a bad thing.

My two (an probably unpopular) two cents.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
VAQ-209 will not be getting any Growlers and will disestablish when the Navy gets out of Prowlers in 2013.

Brett

Easy there, dog - the final death knell hasn't been struck yet. There are a lot of machinations going on behind the scenes. The Magic Eight-Ball still says "Future uncertain - check again later!"

U-2 interservice transfer pilots may still have a future beyond the Prowler... :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The answer is that the pilots are going to have A LOT of work to do.......My thought is that this and the fact that the number of NFO seats is being reduced is going to mean that if you're not a superb / break out ECMO/WSO your days are numbered. The community will no longer be able to 'hide' its weak players (and there are A LOT of 'em out there) in a four person crew. All that being said, much more is going to be expected from the pilots - however I contend that you have a lot of pilots in the fleet that are itching for something more to do than simply take off and land.

It will be nice to get away from the "its an NFO's community" mindset that gets ingrained as early as VT-4/10/86. A little parity is never a bad thing.

You know, you bring up a good point, gotta get rid of all those weak ass pilots too!

You want some cheese with that?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The community will no longer be able to 'hide' its weak players (and there are A LOT of 'em out there) in a four person crew.

Perhaps, but your opinion of who is a "weak player" is likely a pilot-centric view of that persons skills. Back seat is the weapon system and there are those that like that work and are good at it and there are those that are better at front seat. The Growler will be a forcing factor in rounding those skills out but I don't think it's accurate to pronounce it based on what you see.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
85 total delivered, 57 at Whidbey... Where are the remaining 28 going?

This is "normal" when you consider the squadrons, the RAG, depot level maintenance, hangar queens, VX's, TPS, other flight test requirements, etc, etc, ... and was confirmed to me today by an O-6 who's gonna fly the Queer F-18.

And he also told me 5 birds/squadron -- thanks a lot for the non-response to my earlier question, guys. Boy, guess I gotta go to the "top" to get any answers around here ... :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe that the Gauntlets will remain in CVW 5, but will be completing an aircraft swap with 141. 132 was supposed to do the aircraft swap, but that appt was delayed by the GW.

The "swap" in question (141 for 136) will happen around 2011. This is totally different than the swap going on WRT HK for GW.

@ A4s, there will be 5 jets per squadron.

@ FlyinSpy - wishful thinking. Everyone (and I mean everyone) I've heard talk on the subject says you guys aren't getting Gs. Sorry bro, wish it weren't so.

Brett

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
F18GshkrBlue.jpg

Classic.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is "normal" when you consider the squadrons, the RAG, depot level maintenance, hangar queens, VX's, TPS, other flight test requirements, etc, etc, ... and was confirmed to me today by an O-6 who's gonna fly the Queer F-18.

Concur...and they also buy a few for "attrition reserve" based on historical mishap rate of similar airframe/mission.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
You know, you bring up a good point, gotta get rid of all those weak ass pilots too!

You want some cheese with that?

I presume your assertion is that my previous post was 'whiny'? Typical. Feel better now? The guy asked a question about how the division of labor in the cockpit would work and I answered the question for him.

I'm starting to recall why I stopped visiting this site the first time several years ago. :banghead_