• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

submarinerssbn

i am not sure but i can tell you that whenever i went to have my interview with the commadore at whidbey island, they were starting to line up on the run way...

i thought that they would transfer the guys already flying prowlers into those completely before letting students hop into them, but maybe they are crapping them out at a rate that suits both....

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
i am not sure but i can tell you that whenever i went to have my interview with the commadore at whidbey island, they were starting to line up on the run way...

i thought that they would transfer the guys already flying prowlers into those completely before letting students hop into them, but maybe they are crapping them out at a rate that suits both....

Jeez... I hope one of the interview questions wasn't "spell Commodore"! :D

But seriousy, who wants to fly an aircraft named after a floating turd?

Oh ya! I want to fly the A-8 Mudbutt!

A certain LT at NASC (prowler guy) said that there are no more prowler selections for SNA/SNFO for the time being. I assume this means that prowlers are done and during the initial part of the transition of these squadrons they aren't taking any studs, but once some growler squadrons get established they'll start selecting growler studs?'

Of course this is yet another flight school rumor, so the POD is to pass it along as truth and carry-on smartly. :D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SNFO pipeline will start selecting Growler ECMOs/WSO's soon, but we are still feeding NFO's to Whidbey for the EA-6B.

OttoWrote8 said:
But seriousy, who wants to fly an aircraft named after a floating turd?

Oh ya! I want to fly the A-8 Mudbutt!

At least they got jets.....you get to enjoy Starboard Delta. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
SNFO pipeline will start selecting Growler ECMOs/WSO's soon, but we are still feeding NFO's to Whidbey for the EA-6B.

At least they got jets.....you get to enjoy Starboard Delta. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Whatever. I've already got my koolaide 'stache. I'd rather be scraping my skids over the tops of the trees at 100kts than flying 450kts at Flight Level way-too-fucking-high. ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever. I've already got my koolaide 'stache. I'd rather be scraping my skids over the tops of the trees at 100kts than flying 450kts at Flight Level way-too-fucking-high. ;)

Yeah, 500' AGL @ 500 kts going through the cascades is WAAAAY too high. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

-ea6bflyr ;)

I have a fear of heights. SHHHH! :)

Helicopters suit me because, just like me, they take a relatively simple concept such as flying and make it VERY complicated with all sorts of crazy aerodynamics and parts slinging away from each other. Being an engineer I like to overcomplicate things too. :D

xmid

pilot
Contributor
A certain LT at NASC (prowler guy) said that there are no more prowler selections for SNA/SNFO for the time being.

Actually the word from the prowler guys (and gal) when I was going through API was that pilots would no longer be able to select the prowler as of August 1st. The NFO side of the house was going to continue on at this point.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot

-ea6bflyr ;)

You mean "500"AGL, right?

There is still a need for prowler pilots. The prowler RAG, at least for now, is alive and well.

And the Marines are going to stand up the RAG in Cherry Point, so the "no more prowler pilots" thing is navy only. At least until 2019...

Kycntryboy

pilot
Actually the word from the prowler guys (and gal) when I was going through API was that pilots would no longer be able to select the prowler as of August 1st. The NFO side of the house was going to continue on at this point.

Had a Navy guy select it last class (~2 weeks ago)

Casual

Jammin'
None
Word on the street down here is that VT-86 (NFOs) are no longer selecting Prowlers and are getting the Growler now.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Everyone knows it is really called the shocker.

Yep, when was the last time you heard an F-16 called the "Fighting Falcon" it's the Viper or the lawn dart or when an A-10 was called a "Thunderbolt II", it's the Warthog and always has been.

This is a case of the the guys who fly/maintain it will just call it what they want.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Yep, when was the last time you heard an F-16 called the "Fighting Falcon" it's the Viper or the lawn dart or when an A-10 was called a "Thunderbolt II", it's the Warthog and always has been.

This is a case of the the guys who fly/maintain it will just call it what they want.

True until the ball call... I would love to be in Prifly when some poor dude gets ripped by the Air Boss for some funny his squadron LSO makes about "Growler Ball".... :p