• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So I guess the question would be, if you are on the seniority list of AA, do you hang in there or bail to a different company?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I’ve only recently started flying United pretty loyally bc their nonstop routes and timing just happen to work out best for my work travel. My only complaint is that they don’t let me check bags via the app, and therefore I don’t get my boarding pass until I get to the airport. And the flights have been rather full so I get stuck in the middle or beside young children or whatever.

I don’t go through Houston so no experience changing planes there. Maybe once or twice in my life.

I used to love LUV but haven’t been on it in a while. The boarding order games never phase me since I am in with the preboard crowd.

You may want to check into your settings, or get one of the United cards that includes a free bag… my app lets me check bags ans part of the check in process and proceed to drop them off at the designated bag drop at the airport. I don’t understand the app well enough to tell you why exactly it allows me to do it though.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So I guess the question would be, if you are on the seniority list of AA, do you hang in there or bail to a different company?
Depends on where you live, how old you are, how long you’ve been on property and what your goals are… there is a LOT of merit to staying put once you’re at one of the big 3. They’re all really really good jobs,

Brand new and live in Atlanta? You should probably bail for Delta If they hire you.
Over 35, new and feel like your career will be a failure if you don’t fit your final flight as a widebody captain? Maybe United is the move.
20% up the seniority list and life in base? Probably stupid to leave.

"United CEO Scott Kirby told employees in a video message that he thinks Delta & United will be close to 100% of the industry’s profitability this year “there are now two airlines, United & Delta, that are now light years ahead of the rest of the industry”

I remember Doug Parker telling us that American will never lose money again… think that lasted a few quarters… The CEOs job is to be the biggest cheerleader in public. Often times you can tell they’re lying because their mouth is moving… I certainly wouldn’t leave
one company over the positive things another companies CEO is saying about their own company.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You may want to check into your settings, or get one of the United cards that includes a free bag… my app lets me check bags ans part of the check in process and proceed to drop them off at the designated bag drop at the airport. I don’t understand the app well enough to tell you why exactly it allows me to do it though.
i buy Basic Economy tix to save $$ then use my military ID to check a bag for free. The United app doesn’t recognize military status without still charging a $40 bag fee, and Basic Economy has to check in at the airport unless checking a bag. Meh, it’s fine, I just do it all at the kiosk when I get there. It’s part of my routine now.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Alaska is the best. But really only works if you're a west coaster.

Delta and United are the same, one has purple tones and the other has blue tones. That's about the biggest difference.

The old guys like to joke that the only headings on the heading bug were north or south, and the INS didn’t support anything west of AK or east of Spokane :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Delta and United are the same, one has purple tones and the other has blue tones. That's about the biggest difference.

I've found that when I have to fly a commuter, Delta's seats are more comfortable than United's...by a mile. For my area, Delta is usually more convenient and/or cheaper, too, but I get that's relative.

When I lived in HI, Continental was the shiz-nit. And Houston was a non-event (I'd always go through there). The times I've flown after the merger, I've found United to not be quite as smooth as Continental. Not bad, just not "as good."

My one complaint about Houston now is the one time I had to check in there, which was last summer trying to get home from a training trip for work, the check-in was a bonkers scene. But once through TSA, it was the same basic Houston I was used to, except the Commuter terminal finally got upgraded some time after 2011-ish (which made the bathrooms way nicer).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Ok, bubbas… what the heck is the deal with “Clear”, and why is it even a thing? TSA Pre-check wasn’t good enough? Also, it’s only available at a few airports, while pre-check is everywhere.

Paid “head of the line” privileges seem scammy to me, like if a private company opened a 3rd lane on a public highway, but if that lane was actually the shoulder, and caused slow-downs in the public lanes. What am I missing here?

Also, it’s a pet-peeve of mine that their signs say “Clear with TSA Pre-check” as if their line is both. It isn’t, and their staff is quite rude about asserting that.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ok, bubbas… what the heck is the deal with “Clear”, and why is it even a thing? TSA Pre-check wasn’t good enough? Also, it’s only available at a few airports, while pre-check is everywhere.

Paid “head of the line” privileges seem scammy to me, like if a private company opened a 3rd lane on a public highway, but if that lane was actually the shoulder, and caused slow-downs in the public lanes. What am I missing here?

Also, it’s a pet-peeve of mine that their signs say “Clear with TSA Pre-check” as if their line is both. It isn’t, and their staff is quite rude about asserting that.
I got it because it was basically free for two years. It is, actually, a bit faster than the now over-burdened TSA Pre (and I remained stunned at the number of “pre-check” people who still stop to take off their shoes) BUT the simple fact remains, it is only used at certain airports. When I visit the family in Denver it is pure gold to skip most of the cattle corral they call the security line (it always reminds me of the “slaughter of the SEALS” scene in the movie “The Rock”).

How it works…you look at a camera, offer up a thumb print, and a nice person moves you to the nearest pre-check line where you jump ahead of everyone else…once I even split a family trying to go through.

Is it worth it…No. Maybe if it becomes universal but for now the cost is too high.