• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
And don’t get me started on buying a cut-in-line fastpass at amusement parks. Your Fast Pass is my Slow Pass.
Agree. Fast pass for TSA is just a dick move. I say that having used Clear a couple of times, since it came free with my credit card. Felt kinda dirty to cut in the main line.

At ORD this morning, actual Pre-check was just as fast as clear, and maybe faster. I’d say “clear” is a crapshoot, at best.

Fins Out

I've seen a lot of airport Clear lines longer than TSA pre check. Maybe it has better use at the stadiums or other venues it's accepted. Only reason I have it is through AMEX, no way I'd pay out of pocket for this.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Clear sucks. Got the one-year membership and every time I tried to use it, it took longer for my doctor to give me a prostate exam. TSA pre-check is still pretty good . . .

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Airports where I've used Clear you go to the head of the line for the ID and boarding pass check, but still have the long line at screening, where oh by the way, you still have to take off your shoes, and pull out computers. It's really not worth it in my view. Of course now that I'm recovering from a stroke, using a cane and have little us of my left arm and hand, I pretty much blow through all of it anyway, special needs/ handicapped. But having a stroke isn't worth that. 🤬

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
So sorry to hear that. I wasn't aware. How long ago did that happen? Mine happened not long after the COVID vax's and I was fortunate that I recovered fully with no after effects.

sevenhelmet

pilot
Clear sucks. Got the one-year membership and every time I tried to use it, it took longer for my doctor to give me a prostate exam. TSA pre-check is still pretty good . . .
Agreed. Last time I tried to use Clear in DC, I ended up having to re-verify everything, and had the staff crawling up my asshole the entire time about the issues I was having getting their face scanner to work. Even the regular line would have been faster.

I’d honestly rather just deal with the TSA, which says it all.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Using TSA Precheck is the bomb. Auto magically works with CAC ID number....

CLEAR is an unbelievable scam IMHO. Normal TSA checkpoints are actually pretty well managed. Also wait times are widely published digitally in real time, so there is never a need to be surprised. However I watch GF hand over $$$ to CLEAR every time her daughters fly because...❓

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I would not be shocked if Clear sold traveler data on the back end to 3rd parties to supplement its revenue. No information to support that, but seems like a standard practice with many companies these days that have lots of customer data.

sevenhelmet

pilot
I would not be shocked if Clear sold traveler data on the back end to 3rd parties to supplement its revenue. No information to support that, but seems like a standard practice with many companies these days that have lots of customer data.

I had a similar thought.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So sorry to hear that. I wasn't aware. How long ago did that happen? Mine happened not long after the COVID vax's and I was fortunate that I recovered fully with no after effects.
I had my stroke a year ago July 21st. I'm getting around fairly well. My left arm and hand are the big hang up now. Starting a new rehab program in a couple of weeks. I am driving and I'm very close to being able to get back to flying my Luscombe. I hope to end up like you with full recovery within the next year or so

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Ok, bubbas… what the heck is the deal with “Clear”, and why is it even a thing? TSA Pre-check wasn’t good enough? Also, it’s only available at a few airports, while pre-check is everywhere.

Paid “head of the line” privileges seem scammy to me, like if a private company opened a 3rd lane on a public highway, but if that lane was actually the shoulder, and caused slow-downs in the public lanes. What am I missing here?

Also, it’s a pet-peeve of mine that their signs say “Clear with TSA Pre-check” as if their line is both. It isn’t, and their staff is quite rude about asserting that.
I signed up for Clear after starting a regular, weekly flying commute. I agree that the whole thing is sketchy and I'm sure there's something sketchy going on with my data and yes it seems scammy that you can pay to cut to the front of the line. That said, when coupled with pre-Check it has allowed me to get through DCA security very quickly every single time I've used it. That in turn allows me to shave off ~15 minutes to my airport arrival time. Add that over weeks and months and it becomes a significant time saving. If the pre-check line is short, I just go with that.

I get the stink eye from people when I cut the line and I have a friend who loathes it beyond belief and gets snippy with the Clear folks. That said, it's not some secret club. The equation is pretty simple: pay money, cut the line.

I believe that TSA is rolling out some of the basic technology (no ID or ticket, just take a photo of your face) so that may negate the point of Clear in the future which wouldn't be a bad thing.