• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe that TSA is rolling out some of the basic technology (no ID or ticket, just take a photo of your face) so that may negate the point of Clear in the future which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Correct. I haven't flow COMAIR for a year until two weeks ago and the JAX TSA line didn't want my ID, only to scan my ticket and face. DFW was still using both ID and ticket, at least at the AA point I went through.

In other exciting news, my bags actually made it back when flying AA out of DFW this time. That's a first and now I'm rocking a 25% success rate.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Just to be “clear,” TSA-Pre is also a “pay to cut the line” equation.
It is, but to be fair to the detractors of Clear at least TSA-Pre is government-sponsored.

I will also say Clear is a godsend when I'm trying to catch a 7am flight from SEATAC after having driven down from Whidbey at 3am and the Pre-check line's a 20+ minutes wait.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I signed up for Clear after starting a regular, weekly flying commute. I agree that the whole thing is sketchy and I'm sure there's something sketchy going on with my data and yes it seems scammy that you can pay to cut to the front of the line. That said, when coupled with pre-Check it has allowed me to get through DCA security very quickly every single time I've used it. That in turn allows me to shave off ~15 minutes to my airport arrival time. Add that over weeks and months and it becomes a significant time saving. If the pre-check line is short, I just go with that.

I get the stink eye from people when I cut the line and I have a friend who loathes it beyond belief and gets snippy with the Clear folks. That said, it's not some secret club. The equation is pretty simple: pay money, cut the line.

I believe that TSA is rolling out some of the basic technology (no ID or ticket, just take a photo of your face) so that may negate the point of Clear in the future which wouldn't be a bad thing.

I saw that for the first time in ORD a couple of days ago. It's a "touchless" TSA pre-check so far. Just takes a picture of your face, no ID needed.

Of course, I don't trust the government with my personal info either, but that horse left the barn a long damn time ago...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I like old, often forgotten movies thus stumbled across this one about the SHOW! Clearly a classic “B” type it is also clearly the daddy of the crop of aviation disaster movies we got in the 70’s and 80’s. Some fantastically comical dialogue including my favorite line from a kid who, looking at the prop-driven airliner says, “I just ride in those, I fly jets.” The Navy gets some SWO love as well.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It is, but to be fair to the detractors of Clear at least TSA-Pre is government-sponsored.

I will also say Clear is a godsend when I'm trying to catch a 7am flight from SEATAC after having driven down from Whidbey at 3am and the Pre-check line's a 20+ minutes wait.

You are triggering the "woke up 5 hrs ago at 3 AM and got randomed at SEA KCM to make a 10 am showtime" me (in my weird shirtsleeve shirt and necktie me)

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Apparently working for the SHOW is the modern equivalent of crewing a Roman slave galley.

FAs don't get paid enough IMO, but the reality is (for now) it's a career for younger folks who value the travel benefits and don't mind living in a Crashpad while they work up a seniority list. There's also no mandatory retirement age (insert joke here), so the quality/efficient routes rarely open up. Trying to work it as a single parent would be really difficult.

Market conditions and the FAA's 1500 Hour Rule brought about a sea change for regional pilots. Unsure what can do that for FAs, but I wish them the best.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Before takeoff, let the FAs auction off the unsold business class seats to the highest cash bidder, then they keep 50% of the proceeds and the airline gets the other 50%. The finance and consulting bros don’t need the free upgrade from economy anyways.

HuggyU2

None
...but the reality is (for now) it's a career for younger folks who value the travel benefits and don't mind living in a Crashpad while they work up a seniority list.
I'm currently on a trip with some senior FAs. One has 55 years with United. The other is 50+ years including time at PanAm.

As a general rule, I find many of these super senior ones to be the best when it comes to looking after the crew.