• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Before takeoff, let the FAs auction off the unsold business class seats to the highest cash bidder, then they keep 50% of the proceeds and the airline gets the other 50%. The finance and consulting bros don’t need the free upgrade from economy anyways.

Uh huh. Maybe the finance bro airline miles can go toward FA pay too. They’re sure to stay loyal and willingly fly coach.

;)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Uh huh. Maybe the finance bro airline miles can go toward FA pay too. They’re sure to stay loyal and willingly fly coach.

;)
Meh. If you want an upgraded seat, pay for the upgraded seat. The whole “status” thing is a scam/ self-licking ice cream cone. Should I get to cut the line at Trader Joe’s since I spend more money there than you?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Meh. If you want an upgraded seat, pay for the upgraded seat. The whole “status” thing is a scam/ self-licking ice cream cone. Should I get to cut the line at Trader Joe’s since I spend more money there than you?

The status thing is a huge deal for business travellers. I will shiv my travel agent before flying anything other than a OneWorld carrier, mostly because I get those perks. If you spend a lot of time in airports, you don't want to share the cattle call with the pajama-wearing cretins in Group 8.

I fly full fare at least twice a month and buy business class tickets when I travel abroad. That's worth more than 99% of leisure travellers.

There's a TON of money associated with points (40% of airline revenue.), and most of that is associated with business travellers. All those Priceline tickets are just to pay for gas to get business travelers aboard.

Last edited:

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Paying for a coach seat when booking a coach seat and then routinely expecting a free seat upgrade to business/first class due to your “status” is classic Gen Z behavior.

That's how it's done.

Depends on the route. You usually need huge status (like Concierge Key on American) to get upgraded between, say DFW and DCA. Going to a smaller city, though? Executive Platinum will get you treated like royalty.

sevenhelmet

pilot
Paying for a coach seat when booking a coach seat and then routinely expecting a free seat upgrade to business/first class due to your “status” is classic Gen Z behavior.

How strange- most of the people I see up there are significantly senior to Gen Z.
;)

You seem angry about this, but honestly it’s pretty fair in my experience. Paying customers get first pick of the first/business/econ+ seats. If the higher fare cabin doesn’t sell out, the customers who have purchased a seat and have the highest status with the airline get the next chance at upgrading, by status level or order of check-in.

Because I can easily spend $20-30K per year on tickets (for my employer mostly) I have high status on UA, but I don’t get upgraded very often, and I don’t expect to. Perhaps 1 in every 10-12 flights results in an upgrade. It’s fine- for domestic travel, the ability to select economy plus seats or exit row without a upcharge (and free check bags) is of greater benefit to me, and the “preferred seating” rows often have open seats in them anyway. For international travel, it’s miles, our business travel policy, or I suck it up in coach.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
How strange- most of the people I see up there are significantly senior to Gen Z.
;)

You seem pretty angry about this, but honestly it’s pretty fair in my experience. Paying customers get first pick of the first/business/econ+ seats. If the higher fare cabin doesn’t sell out, the customers who have purchased a seat and have the highest status with the airline get the next chance at upgrading.

Because I can easily spend $20-30K per year on tickets (for my employer mostly) I have high status on UA, but I honestly don’t get upgraded very often. It’s fine- for domestic travel, the ability to select economy plus seats or exit row without a upcharge (and free check bags) is of greater benefit to me, and those rows often have open seats in them anyway. For international travel, it’s miles, business travel policy, or suck it up in coach.
Not angry at all. I fly basic economy and do just fine. I just find it humorous from afar when I see people get angry over their “status” and argue with the gate agent (e.g. having to gate check their carry-on, or not getting upgraded). I also find it humorous how so many people rely on (and brag about) their “status” whereas in any other industry it would be super out-of-place and considered rude. Like at a grocery store checkout line or in the all-u-can-eat chinese restaurant buffet line because you happen to consume more chinese food than anyone else around you.

I realize that airlines created this system to earn loyalty and make money. No issue with it. It’s a free country and within their legal right. But I’m also not giving “status” to the 5th grader trying to elbow in at the school bake sale just because he’s a glutton for cupcakes and spends more money than other children.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Not angry at all. I fly basic economy and do just fine. I just find it humorous from afar when I see people get angry over their “status” and argue with the gate agent (e.g. having to gate check their carry-on, or not getting upgraded). I also find it humorous how so many people rely on (and brag about) their “status” whereas in any other industry it would be super out-of-place and considered rude. Like at a grocery store checkout line or in the all-u-can-eat chinese restaurant buffet line because you happen to consume more chinese food than anyone else around you.

I realize that airlines created this system to earn loyalty and make money. No issue with it. It’s a free country and within their legal right. But I’m also not giving “status” to the 5th grader trying to elbow in at the school bake sale just because he’s a glutton for cupcakes and spends more money than other children.
As long as you and the other proletariats aren't standing in front of the jetway when Group 1 is called.;)🤣

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Status is huge in the airline world, because the companies make them be… it’s not some generational thing. The companies reward repeat spenders, especially repeat big spenders. A passenger’s loyalty status decides many things- complimentary drinks, free upgrades, lounge visits, dedicated customer service and booking priority and most importantly- whether or not the airline is willing to hold a plane so you make it to your destination as close to scheduled as possible.

The active duty military boarding is something airlines do because it looks good and slightly less hated by the public and keeps them good graces with the politicians. Not because they actually care. They’d probably get more financial benefit from pre boarding content creators. Everyone knows you’re just using your ID to weasel your way out of paying your fair share (bag fees) anyway. ;)

sevenhelmet

pilot

In that case, let's call a spade, a spade, and recognize entitlement for what it is. People getting angry with gate agents over airline status programs is a sign of poor SA and emotional control. These are very likely the same people who have road rage issues, spend their mornings screaming at the Starbucks barista because they're out of left-handed organic prickly-pear syrup, and forget that gate agents and flight attendants do not set corporate policy or make scheduling decisions for airplanes.

What they really need to do is take a deep breath, calm down, and realize their place in the world- something mommy apparently never taught them. In the words of Randall from Clerks, "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f*@%ing customers..."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Bad behavior is never cool, but I would also second the notion that this just is what it is. I have never once piloted an airplane with an open 1/c seat. That is because we upgrade in order, to fill those seats. That doesn’t happen with international fliers, but it is pretty much the standard domestically. I get the 0/C seat though, up at the front front, and get paid more for it than probably many of them. Only catch is i have to be sober, unlike them :)