• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WATCHES: Question for all you Aviators

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Apparently people who live in Maine have nothing better to do then get custom plates. Ive never seen so many as I did that forsaken state.

Forsaken? Where did this post come from? Have you lived there? Im sure Enid Oklahoma is filling all your geopgraphic needs, who needs forests and oceans and culture. Im sure there are enough generic plates in the WALMART parking lot to make you happy.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FMRAM said:
Has anyone ever used/known someone that has used the slide rules on the Brietlings or Omegas in flight?

I did once but I was discussing an upcoming libo port and was doing currency conversion.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
skidkid said:
I did once but I was discussing an upcoming libo port and was doing currency conversion.

LOL! I was about to say the same exact thing. Works good for that when you are, say, less than fully capable of doing conversions for beverage reasons.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
so I'm guessing I need to upgrade

wristwatchdialBIG.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Will that thing work down in after-steerage? How about the engine room? I thought you guys were so pale from lack of sun.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
are you kidding? audemars piguet is WIDELY considered the best watches in the world.
Yes, that's right ... I'm kidding. :sleep_125

Actually ... in my vast experience, world travels, and knowledge(s) ... I've never hear of 'em. Or known anyone who has ... :) ... sorry.

NavyLonghorn

skidkid said:
Forsaken? Where did this post come from? Have you lived there? Im sure Enid Oklahoma is filling all your geopgraphic needs, who needs forests and oceans and culture. Im sure there are enough generic plates in the WALMART parking lot to make you happy.

I havent lived in Oklahoma in a year, im just too lazy for a name change. I have two things to say about Maine.

1. It was late may and I could see my breath.
2. They rang a bell.. I was very exctied.. it turns out the bell was for last call.. at like 12:30am.
3. I went there for SERE, so.. kinda bitter.

However, I would live there before Enid. So, dont get too offended.

Oh, and the post came from A4's refrence to custom plates on the prior line :)

I apologise for being VERY off topic.

GMan1976

Banned
Harrier Dude said:
Never heard of them. Sounds french. french bad.

Then again, I might just be an uncultured red-neck.

they are swiss, not french. been around since the late 1800's. and as for the "pretty big watch geek" (skidkid), that's like saying you love cars, but what's a maserati?

i guess we can't all be cultured (haha) ;-) however, I too have traveled the world (recreationally and professionally) and found piguets to be in EVERY high-end watch and jewelry shop in every major city. obviously they're not the MOST POPULAR brand in the industry (I mean, seriously, who can afford a watch that STARTS at $15,000? ...actually who would even WANT one? I'd rather spend my $$ elsewhere, but that's besides the point). In any case, Piguets are the premier watch amongst enthusiests... and I highly doubt a "pretty big watch geek" counts as being a connoisseur..

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Ok... I'll bite. What makes these watches that much better than most of the other (very expensive) watches listed? They say that they are made of stainless steel? Why do they cost almost ten times what many of these other watches cost? The name?

GMan1976

Banned
xmid said:
Ok... I'll bite. What makes these watches that much better than most of the other (very expensive) watches listed? They say that they are made of stainless steel? Why do they cost almost ten times what many of these other watches cost? The name?

i did a google search on that question, here's a couple links that might explain (at least a bit):

http://www.forbes.com/collecting/2004/12/01/cx_ns_1201feat.html?partner=yahooau

http://www.orolus.com/watchinfo/AP-info.shtml

i think it's a combination of the complexity of the watch and the addition of what watchmakers call "complications", the name, the limited production, etc. similar to what makes any item ultra expensive i guess....

from the 2nd link: "Today, Audemars Piguet remains one of the most prestigious watchmakers in the world -- and one of the few that is still family owned. Yet despite the company's enormous success, every watch is still made by hand the old-fashioned way -- one at a time. Today, along with Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet is considered to be one of the "big three" as one of the finest watches in the world"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
audemars pigwhat?

skidkid said:
Ive never heard of them either, and I a pretty big watch geek.

Likewise. Got a few nice ones including a Breitling and a couple of Citizen Ecodrives as well as a few Seikos. I check watches when the spousal unit is looking at Jewelry and never have seen or heard of one. Is that the one Dan Aykroyd (as Louis Winthorpe III) gets all geeky over in "Trading Places?"

pic1.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
i did a google search on that question, here's a couple links that might explain (at least a bit):

http://www.forbes.com/collecting/2004/12/01/cx_ns_1201feat.html?partner=yahooau

http://www.orolus.com/watchinfo/AP-info.shtml

i think it's a combination of the complexity of the watch and the addition of what watchmakers call "complications", the name, the limited production, etc. similar to what makes any item ultra expensive i guess....

I guess what I am saying is I don't understand what makes this watch so much more valuable then say a Rolex? They both are made of expensive materials, are intricate, are supposed to last forever, and carry a prestigious name, but why would this one be so much more expensive? If I were looking at buying either a mustang, or a ferrari I would know that buying a ferrari would give me a car that was faster, lighter, handled better, was hand-built, and had a name that put me in an elite group. I can't see the characteristics of this watch that would make it possibly worthy of the price as easily as the car example. I think that some times the super rich have to have items that are rediculously expensive for no good reason, just to to say--Look at me! I can wipe my ass with hundred dollar bills!;)