• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

vbts13

What's yall's thoughts on flight experience to help out the application? It looks like 70% of the SNA's that were selected had flight experience.
I honestly don't think that plays much of a deciding factor, I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have them. But I only had a measly 8 hours of flight experience in my package lol

Shheen

What's yall's thoughts on flight experience to help out the application? It looks like 70% of the SNA's that were selected had flight experience.
The last couple boards have posted that it is an item for consideration, not the primary but is looked at

csanfilippo9

It is a thing but you can't count on it, too many variables, if a person takes NFO with the intention on becoming a Pilot later they are setting themselves up for probable disappointment.
Probable but never impossible , still happy to be here though ! Doesn’t mean I can’t fly , whenever I get some free time I’ll use my own money and build my hours , someway somehow it will happen.

villo0692

I think that it’s a false correlation. I think people with flight experience will generally do better in the ASTB
I mean if you suck at math and don’t study for the ANIT portion you’ll probably get abysmal scores….seen a fair amount of seasoned pilots who completely bomb the ASTB. There’s a good amount of academics here in NIFE as well, the ASTB is a predictor of success in flight school, that’s why it remains the biggest factor in selection, followed mainly but your GPA….flight hrs as far as I know, at least in the Navy, seldom are considered

Shheen

I mean if you suck at math and don’t study for the ANIT portion you’ll probably get abysmal scores….seen a fair amount of seasoned pilots who completely bomb the ASTB. There’s a good amount of academics here in NIFE as well, the ASTB is a predictor of success in flight school, that’s why it remains the biggest factor in selection, followed mainly but your GPA….flight hrs as far as I know, at least in the Navy, seldom are considered
Guess the board puts it out there for no reason then ??‍♂️

Shheen

I think that it’s a false correlation. I think people with flight experience will generally do better in the ASTB
Like i said, it’s the board the puts out the informatio. Overall i agree, having flight experience likely helps. But the ASTB really isn’t that difficult, couple study hours and people shouldn’t have an issue getting 6+

Fib

It’s really just a case on case basis. This was my package to get my pro rec y.
6/7/7 ASTB score
BS in Mechanical engineering
Collegiate soccer athlete
Multiple leadership experiences
LOR from Blue angel Captain
LOR from state representative
LOR from collegiate coach
LOR from professor
LOR from employer
ZERO FLIGHT EXPERIENCE

piper56M

Like i said, it’s the board the puts out the informatio. Overall i agree, having flight experience likely helps. But the ASTB really isn’t that difficult, couple study hours and people shouldn’t have an issue getting 6+
yeah, honestly I don't really feel like having prior flight experience helps THAT much on the ASTB. Obviously it can help in the ANIT portion, but otherwise not so much imo.

Maze_soba

I also had zero "official" flight experience but had gone flying with a neighbor in his biplane a couple of times. While it definitely helped put the stick movements into context and establish a little bit of muscle memory, I don't think it really moved the needle in terms of my personal ASTB performance. The tracking/listening tests felt more like a *really* high-stakes arcade game.

FloridaDad

I also had zero "official" flight experience but had gone flying with a neighbor in his biplane a couple of times. While it definitely helped put the stick movements into context and establish a little bit of muscle memory, I don't think it really moved the needle in terms of my personal ASTB performance. The tracking/listening tests felt more like a *really* high-stakes arcade game.
Honestly the system response time in the tracking tests is so slow/delayed. The cursor takes a bit to respond to your movements which was the biggest difference for me between the practice sim we have on here (super snappy/responsive controls) and the real test (delayed controls that feel like you're dragging the cursor behidn where it should be.)