• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23MAY2022 SNA/SNFO BOARD

Triumph_MAC

It doesn't, when submitted to NRC all documents need to be there or it will be kicked back to the recruiter, NRC doesn't look for something, NRC has the recruiter look. NRC give special consideration to AD so a person on AD might slip in after the deadline.
So you’re saying there is a chance mine will make the May board since I’m AD. I have an age waiver that needs to get processed so hopefully that won’t hold me up.

FloridaDad

So I took @FloridaDad 's advice and got a Logitech joystick to use the ASTB flight sim with. In the interest of everyone who is considering doing the same, I decided to record my data. After a week of practice on the hardest difficulty and in 60 second runs, there seems to be a downward trend in my average distance to the targets with the joystick and the throttle.

View attachment 34573

Here are some of my observations:
  • Focusing on the joystick target with the throttle in the peripheral seems to be the optimal way of tracking both at the same time. Since the joystick target moves in 2 dimensions, it's harder to recover from a mistake in tracking that one than it is for the throttle. In other words, focus more on the joystick, but don't totally neglect the throttle.
  • Sitting further from the screen increased my field of view, making it easier to keep the throttle in my peripheral vision.
  • Playing the sim with headphones on while listening to dichotic listening videos is about as close as you can get to the real exam without actually taking it. Leaning your head to either side seems to have helped me listen to the audio playing through that ear; other people have mentioned that this helped them so I just wanted to confirm it myself.
  • Playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 helped me learn to make minute adjustments to the throttle and joystick, something that translated to the trainer fairly well.
  • A Cruel Angel's Thesis is a dope song. That's not really related to my observations, but listening to it during the sim made it feel more fun and intense.
It's important to note that I did not use the audio cue training feature in the sim. My computer wasn't playing the audio for some reason, so I decided against it. Also, I've read that the audio in the sim only plays through one ear, as opposed to both ears like during the exam.
I love seeing data like this! And I posted a long response in the the 1,001 questions thread.

FloridaDad

I say let's keep chatting here as a group and not worry about moving to a new August thread until this board happens and has results. No sense in fragmenting our little community yet. We'll see a ton more people join us come summer, but until then an August thread is going to be pretty lonely.

exNavyOffRec

Spoke with my recruiter, everything has been submitted and they got a certified letter from the Marines in regards to my previous training. All is set and ready for May.

He also told me that NRC is mainly looking for NFOs and that alot of people who applied for pilot have a higher chance of getting NFO rather than SNA. If that does happen where they do offer me that instead of SNA, im going to take it since it's a guaranteed slot.
It matters as to when he submitted, as past applicants have found out just because your application is submitted doesn't mean it will make the board, what is unknown is when did they cutoff the applications going to the May board?

If you look at previous dashboard from a month ago they only added 8 SNFO's and 24 SNA's to the numbers of those that have been screened as ready for board. It is probable that the 8 and 24 were already at NRC just in the approval process, but if not any day past 21 Jan the chance is more remote to make the board.

davidc1220

It matters as to when he submitted, as past applicants have found out just because your application is submitted doesn't mean it will make the board, what is unknown is when did they cutoff the applications going to the May board?

If you look at previous dashboard from a month ago they only added 8 SNFO's and 24 SNA's to the numbers of those that have been screened as ready for board. It is probable that the 8 and 24 were already at NRC just in the approval process, but if not any day past 21 Jan the chance is more remote to make the board.
From what I was told since everything was submitted back in February, I should be okay as they were waiting for a certified form from the Marines, he said they received a stamped letter from them and has not heard from the NRC since then. All my documents according to him are already with the NRC and have been there since the original submission, so hopefully everything has gone in smoothly. If I do get bumped to the August Board, I see it as more time to prepare and more time to get things taken care of here before I leave

exNavyOffRec

From what I was told since everything was submitted back in February, I should be okay as they were waiting for a certified form from the Marines, he said they received a stamped letter from them and has not heard from the NRC since then. All my documents according to him are already with the NRC and have been there since the original submission, so hopefully everything has gone in smoothly. If I do get bumped to the August Board, I see it as more time to prepare and more time to get things taken care of here before I leave
I guess the unfortunate thing is that it will be a waiting game for not just you but everyone that had their application submitted waiting to see if you are on this board.

davidc1220

I guess the unfortunate thing is that it will be a waiting game for not just you but everyone that had their application submitted waiting to see if you are on this board.
yup, from here on out y'all it's out of our hands, we just have to wait and see what happens

vbts13

so then looking at that Dashboard, they're looking to take 39 SNA's and 32 NFO's in the May board? Just want to know if I'm reading that document correctly

FloridaDad

Potentially, that document also makes it look like there's 84 applications for SNA... haha that'll be below a 50% acceptance rate if I'm reading these numbers correctly
Oh gotcha I misread the post as saying there were that many applicants! Gosh I hope they have more spots than that open in August!

vbts13

Oh gotcha I misread the post as saying there were that many applicants! Gosh I hope they have more spots than that open in August!
looks like 157 spots remaining for the fy, divided by 4 board leads me to believe they're looking to take 39 from each board... but my question is could they take more spots up front and cancel future boards? Maybe @exNavyOffRec can shed some light on this

Dboom85

Banned
Potentially, that document also makes it look like there's 84 applications for SNA... haha that'll be below a 50% acceptance rate if I'm reading these numbers correctly
Where are you getting 84? It looks like this May board is capped at 60 applicants

vbts13

Where are you getting 84? It looks like this May board is capped at 60 applicants
Oh I see - there are 83 "Current 1st & 2nd Choice Kits Awaiting Board" But 60 is the cap. I'm assuming that means there are 23 people who will be pushed to the next board. Hoping I was submitted in time then... 39/60 are some decent odds