• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

crt91

Former enlisted Marine here, for some reason the Marine Corps places the PFT on a pedestal… I have literally seen folks with the IQ of a crayon get promoted with no other qualifications other than they have a high PFT. It’s ultra competitive in that regard, I maintained a “high” First Class PFT while active duty and for some reason that carries a significant amount of weight, I mean screw MOS proficiency, if you can run fast and bust out 20 pull-ups you’re a God

mcwisconsin

already talking to an OSO
I initially reached out to an OSO when I was in a junior in college, but his assistant pretty much told me to come back when I was getting closer to graduation. Since then I kind of drifted away from the thought of the marines because I thought that the navy would be a better fit.
How'd your OSO feel about you working with a navy OR at the same time as him? I remember reading on a different thread on here that someone's OSO was disappointed and much less invested in them once they learned they were trying multiple branches at once.

Skylanepilot1981

I initially reached out to an OSO when I was in a junior in college, but his assistant pretty much told me to come back when I was getting closer to graduation. Since then I kind of drifted away from the thought of the marines because I thought that the navy would be a better fit.
How'd your OSO feel about you working with a navy OR at the same time as him? I remember reading on a different thread on here that someone's OSO was disappointed and much less invested in them once they learned they were trying multiple branches at once.
I would Imagine this would be pretty common because the idea for Marine Officers is to lead marines first, then your job specialty. The idea is that you should be committed to the Corps first and foremost then care about the specialty. I have heard from multiple people "if you want to join the marines to just fly then you need to be somewhere else"

exNavyOffRec

so should we just focus on the next board or apply to a different branch at this point?
There is nothing wrong in looking for other options. In general the Army is probably the best option as the USMC wants you to have a near perfect PFT, and the USAF gives nearly all spots to USAFA then AFROTC.

Skylanepilot1981

There is nothing wrong in looking for other options. In general the Army is probably the best option as the USMC wants you to have a near perfect PFT, and the USAF gives nearly all spots to USAFA then AFROTC.
I have heard that too! The army is having very high selection rates for Warrant Officers, historically high!

villo0692

Former enlisted Marine here, for some reason the Marine Corps places the PFT on a pedestal… I have literally seen folks with the IQ of a crayon get promoted with no other qualifications other than they have a high PFT. It’s ultra competitive in that regard, I maintained a “high” First Class PFT while active duty and for some reason that carries a significant amount of weight, I mean screw MOS proficiency, if you can run fast and bust out 20 pull-ups you’re a God
2012-07-26-Strip_214_Chongo_web.gif

LOVE YOU MARINES!!!!

FloridaDad

I have heard that too! The army is having very high selection rates for Warrant Officers, historically high!
Ya I've already spoken to the Army recruiters and they literally won't leave me alone now haha. I just really don't want to study for another test while working full time and take another trip to MEPS to take it.
yeah this thread is really making me consider marine aviation especially since the PFT counts a lot. I'm not smart but I can run fast and do 20 pullups!
I'm too old for the Marines otherwise I'd totally give it a go.

TheManInTheBox99

My friends and I have had awful experiences with Army recruiters. Generally scummy people. One straight up told me I have no chance at becoming a Naval Officer in any designator. Then get upset when I told him I wasn’t interested in the Army.
Ya I've already spoken to the Army recruiters and they literally won't leave me alone now haha. I just really don't want to study for another test while working full time and take another trip to MEPS to take it.

I'm too old for the Marines otherwise I'd totally give it a go.