• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

cjwinton01

SNA Pro-Rec Y
The fat lady is warming up but she isn't singing yet, don't give up hope until we see official results. I know things feel really grim and I'm feeling that right along with you :/
I’m calling my OSO monday since I’ve given up at this point. Even if it’s 20 SNAs and not 12 I’m toast. Might as well throw in with the corps while I’m young enough.

cjwinton01

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Not if you're in halfway good shape, no 21 minutes slow jog should not be a problem.

But you'll be surprised by folks. In every class people show up extremely unprepared where they fail and roll for IST or BCA. I'm not talking about they prepped and someone didn't like their form. I'm talking 20+ minutes 1.5 mile or can't do more than a 1 minute plank.

There was someone in my class who went to OCS in 2019, got booted for the IST. Comes back in 2021, fails the initial IST again and then more stuff down the line, so they booted them again.
I’ll admit that I got booted in 2020 for an IST failure but ROM will fuck with your mind and soul and make even the strongest candidates fail. I was hitting excellent low before I went two years ago and I failed twice. Be prepared before you go, ROM will fuck you up.

Mouselovr

Contributor
I’ll admit that I got booted in 2020 for an IST failure but ROM will fuck with your mind and soul and make even the strongest candidates fail. I was hitting excellent low before I went two years ago and I failed twice. Be prepared before you go, ROM will fuck you up.
Fortunately, ROM is no longer a thing! Unless you test positive for COVID at the door, no more sitting in limbo. You start right away.

Also, you don’t get booted anymore for the IST. You just roll to H

Mouselovr

Contributor
I freaking SUCK at planks and feel like I can't move after doing one but I can still hold one for 70 seconds haha. I guess if you never played sports growing up and sit around all day it just does things to your body.
Yup. Planks are my weakest part of my PRT. If you can pass the IST, OCS will strengthen the lights out of your core. By graduation, a majority of my class was maxing including myself which is something I never thought I’d do.

exNavyOffRec

Fortunately, ROM is no longer a thing! Unless you test positive for COVID at the door, no more sitting in limbo. You start right away.

That must have been a thing during COVID, I had several that didn't pass the IST years ago and they also rolled into H

FloridaDad

Yup. Planks are my weakest part of my PRT. If you can pass the IST, OCS will strengthen the lights out of your core. By graduation, a majority of my class was maxing including myself which is something I never thought I’d do.
I plan on showing up to OCS in pretty decent shape and leaving in the best shape of my life.

Mouselovr

Contributor
I plan on showing up to OCS in pretty decent shape and leaving in the best shape of my life.
Ha. Depends on who you are, when you go due to weather and what you consider “being in shape”.

They did a poll at the end of OCS and asked who felt as though they were in worse, equal or better shape than when they walked in. It was split about 1/3rd evenly.

I can adamantly say I was in the worst shape in 10 years at the end of OCS. My core was great, but everything else was lost. They also changed the DI in charge of PT when I graduated who was an awesome guy. My guess is the quality of workouts have gone up

cjwinton01

SNA Pro-Rec Y

shit it isn’t? They didn’t let me roll into H haha damn.

villo0692

Yeah. My 1.5 mile before OCS was 9:40ish, my IST was like an 11:15 or so, since you eat like shit the first week, and the fact that they’re yelling at you doesn’t help. By the time I left for my out PFA I ran a 10:12 indoors (20 laps). However, as soon as I reached JOC phase me and one my buddies would squeeze a track session whenever we could 4 times a week, since the actual running sessions during PT were whatever. Also, the times we had our 3 mile runs I went with the fast group led by my gunnery sergeant. The moral of this story is, you will fall out of shape, or improve as much as you want to. Sometimes we would come back from class, get changed real quick, hit the pullup bars, go run, go back, get changed and go to chow. We would study for different tests while doing all this stuff just to kinda multi task. Some people during the Christmas break ate like shit, didn’t work out at all and failed the Out PFA and got rolled…felt no sympathy for them.

Happy Thanksgiving bishesss

FloridaDad

Thank you for the insights from every one that's gone through OCS! Hopefully we all get the chance to implement the advice hahaha

Last edited:

BDavis11

Contributor
Planks are easy to increase time on. When they first were incorporated I barely could do a minute cuz I don’t do that at the gym. Did heavy research. 6 sets of 30-60 seconds a night for like two weeks and I was hitting 3 mins. Now I max it out easily without doing any core work.

Mouselovr

Contributor
However, as soon as I reached JOC phase me and one my buddies would squeeze a track session whenever we could 4 times a week, since the actual running sessions during PT were whatever.
This is also dependent on the chillness of your class team.

If you get a cool class team, this is possible.
If you get an uncool class team, no.

TheManInTheBox99

My concern is losing my fitness at OCS ? I lift and do cardio consistently and can do a sub 10:30 1.5 mile. I worry that without adequate access to a gym and lifting equipment or the time to lift that I’ll lose all the progress I’ve been making this past year. I’m not at all worried about the PT, I’m more worried about the sleep and losing my gains hahaha