• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

As a lot of people have alluded to, the IST is done after you’ve been standing in lines all day for days, with poor nutrition. I ran my slowest PRT ever for the IST. If you can get an excellent on a bad day you’ll be fine.

Then not to spoil anything, but the first PT session is a great experience. 25% of my class rolled within that first 10 minute HIIT PT. By the time I left OCS, the number they rolled for that first event had dropped significantly, but only drove up rolls down the line. Every class I saw had around a 50% roll rate. People just aren’t showing up in good enough shape.

I’m not trying to scare anyone. I was fine, all the rescue swimmers I was with were fine, and everyone who showed up with great PRT scores were fine. But half the class thought a passing PRT and a few calisthenics would be enough, and it turned OCS into a 16 week program for them. It’s not the end of the world, but you’ll be glad you showed up prepared. I was in great shape before I got there, put out 100%, and never felt over-prepared. My main point is just don’t sleep on it. Go do P90X or something haha.
They roll people during PT sessions? Brutal. I guess that makes sense, but for this to happen I assume you have to be putting in minimal effort and not pushing.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Random perspective question I have been meaning to ask you. With at about ten years in by time of commissioning, assuming I was to get all quals on time and promote on time, how far up the chain have you seen people make it in your experience?
The answer that @Mouselovr gave is what I would have said, I have seen a few officers who were in spot promote billets less than 10 years including one who was spot promoted to LCDR at about 7.5 years

Hey there warriors. I am a P8 pilot deployed in Okinawa. Happy Thanksgiving! I am INSANELY bored sitting in the NGIS so if anyone has questions about flight school, fleet, OCS, whatever, please DM me. Maybe I can help provide a glance at the “bigger picture”. Stay motivated.
Anything specific you can do to get P8s other than score high enough to get first pick and be lucky. Would you recommend P8s over all other airframes?

Tony Eggert

Anything specific you can do to get P8s other than score high enough to get first pick and be lucky. Would you recommend P8s over all other airframes?
You need to score high enough to avoid the helo draft. Usually a 50 is good enough. I would highly recommend P8s, mostly for the lifestyle. I have my own room at the Navy Gateway Inn in Japan. We go out to eat probably 5 times per week off base. Good internet, Xbox, gym, etc. It’s a great way to avoid the boat until your disassociated sea tour.

Tony Eggert

Oh yeah also P8 squadrons get per diem when they are deployed. Usually 1500-3000 per month depending on location. It’s additional non taxable income that almost no one else in the navy gets. That’s a big factor for a lot of people.

You need to score high enough to avoid the helo draft. Usually a 50 is good enough. I would highly recommend P8s, mostly for the lifestyle. I have my own room at the Navy Gateway Inn in Japan. We go out to eat probably 5 times per week off base. Good internet, Xbox, gym, etc. It’s a great way to avoid the boat until your disassociated sea tour.
Sounds like a dream come true. Especially having 3 years sea time already. Do you actually enjoy the flying/missions in a P8? All the helo pilots swear up and down that helos are the way to go if you want to have "fun" flying.

nefalexa

Hey there warriors. I am a P8 pilot deployed in Okinawa. Happy Thanksgiving! I am INSANELY bored sitting in the NGIS so if anyone has questions about flight school, fleet, OCS, whatever, please DM me. Maybe I can help provide a glance at the “bigger picture”. Stay motivated.
What does your deployment look like? And how long do you spend at home vs away?

villo0692

I used to be in VP8, and spent 6 months in Okinawa, and what he says is right, lifestyle’s great, I saved like 20 grand and had tons of fun. Now that I’m an officer I want a change of scenery, so it seems that I’m probably the only SNA currently at Pcola that actually wants helos. Something about them just calls to me.

Tony Eggert

I used to be in VP8, and spent 6 months in Okinawa, and what he says is right, lifestyle’s great, I saved like 20 grand and had tons of fun. Now that I’m an officer I want a change of scenery, so it seems that I’m probably the only SNA currently at Pcola that actually wants helos. Something about them just calls to me.
Do it. Helicopter flying is probably the most fun flying in the navy. If you were aircrew you know what I mean. No oven on the helo though ?