• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

BDavis11

Contributor
My concern is losing my fitness at OCS ? I lift and do cardio consistently and can do a sub 10:30 1.5 mile. I worry that without adequate access to a gym and lifting equipment or the time to lift that I’ll lose all the progress I’ve been making this past year. I’m not at all worried about the PT, I’m more worried about the sleep and losing my gains hahaha
LMFAO! I feel you. That is the thing with these gains though. What is lost can also be found again. I too keep thinking "Why do I keep lifting like this knowing I'll lose a goof amount of this strength at OCS". It also doesn't take me long to get it back either. It really has become a habit more than anything. I feel disgusted if I miss a workout. The thought of missing my whole routine for three months bothers me. But it's the bigger picture. I need this promotion more than the gains. Three months and I can get back to the grind and being in peak fitness shape again.

BDavis11

Contributor
Nope, I had several that failed IST, then rolled in H, a few have recently put on LCDR.
Random perspective question I have been meaning to ask you. With at about ten years in by time of commissioning, assuming I was to get all quals on time and promote on time, how far up the chain have you seen people make it in your experience?

TheManInTheBox99

LMFAO! I feel you. That is the thing with these gains though. What is lost can also be found again. I too keep thinking "Why do I keep lifting like this knowing I'll lose a goof amount of this strength at OCS". It also doesn't take me long to get it back either. It really has become a habit more than anything. I feel disgusted if I miss a workout. The thought of missing my whole routine for three months bothers me. But it's the bigger picture. I need this promotion more than the gains. Three months and I can get back to the grind and being in peak fitness shape again.
I feel that about gaining it back! My boxing gym just upgraded to a bigger facility that has weights and machines, but I feel like my chest exercises are lacking in the new gym. I’ve definitely noticed my chest isn’t as big as it was a month ago, so I’m going to start lifting at my regular gym to get it back to what it was hahaha.

BDavis11

Contributor
I feel that about gaining it back! My boxing gym just upgraded to a bigger facility that has weights and machines, but I feel like my chest exercises are lacking in the new gym. I’ve definitely noticed my chest isn’t as big as it was a month ago, so I’m going to start lifting at my regular gym to get it back to what it was hahaha.
lol i got humbled by my physical therapist. Started going for my knee. She told me one leg has more girth than the other. I haven't been the same since ?????

JoeBob1788

I finished OCS this month. I had just finished a lifting program (juggernaut method) and wasn’t excited about losing my gains. BLUF: I got faster at OCS and didn’t lose strength. The PT is pretty decent, I showed up close to maxes and finished with a max score. Two weeks back into lifting and I’m back right about where I was. Just push yourself and enjoy calisthenics instead of weights for 13 weeks.

60% of my class rolled, pretty much all for physical performance reasons. Not a lot rolled more than once, but just saying, merely passing the PRT and sucking at running will get you a nice 3 week H vacay pretty quick. And a lot rolls were priors. It’s not the Navy, it’s OCS.

Good luck to everyone this board!

Mouselovr

Contributor
Random perspective question I have been meaning to ask you. With at about ten years in by time of commissioning, assuming I was to get all quals on time and promote on time, how far up the chain have you seen people make it in your experience?
You auto put on O2 at year 2.
You auto put on O3 at year 4.
O4 is the first rank you actually have to *earn*. I've been told people typically put on O4 at year 10.

BDavis11

Contributor
I finished OCS this month. I had just finished a lifting program (juggernaut method) and wasn’t excited about losing my gains. BLUF: I got faster at OCS and didn’t lose strength. The PT is pretty decent, I showed up close to maxes and finished with a max score. Two weeks back into lifting and I’m back right about where I was. Just push yourself and enjoy calisthenics instead of weights for 13 weeks.

60% of my class rolled, pretty much all for physical performance reasons. Not a lot rolled more than once, but just saying, merely passing the PRT and sucking at running will get you a nice 3 week H vacay pretty quick. And a lot rolls were priors. It’s not the Navy, it’s OCS.

Good luck to everyone this board!
Thanks for that insight. Can you elaborate on the "suck at running" point. I can run but I'm naturally a sprinter not long distance. By that, I mean I can run distance but not a 1.5 faster than 11:30 at my fastest PRT.

villo0692

if you wannna become a completely different beast. Become really freaking strong, but also be able to run really fast and really far, boy the road is hard but rewarding

BDavis11

Contributor
if you wannna become a completely different beast. Become really freaking strong, but also be able to run really fast and really far, boy the road is hard but rewarding
It definitely is. I'll start that training after the process.

JoeBob1788

Thanks for that insight. Can you elaborate on the "suck at running" point. I can run but I'm naturally a sprinter not long distance. By that, I mean I can run distance but not a 1.5 faster than 11:30 at my fastest PRT.
As a lot of people have alluded to, the IST is done after you’ve been standing in lines all day for days, with poor nutrition. I ran my slowest PRT ever for the IST. If you can get an excellent on a bad day you’ll be fine.

Then not to spoil anything, but the first PT session is a great experience. 25% of my class rolled within that first 10 minute HIIT PT. By the time I left OCS, the number they rolled for that first event had dropped significantly, but only drove up rolls down the line. Every class I saw had around a 50% roll rate. People just aren’t showing up in good enough shape.

I’m not trying to scare anyone. I was fine, all the rescue swimmers I was with were fine, and everyone who showed up with great PRT scores were fine. But half the class thought a passing PRT and a few calisthenics would be enough, and it turned OCS into a 16 week program for them. It’s not the end of the world, but you’ll be glad you showed up prepared. I was in great shape before I got there, put out 100%, and never felt over-prepared. My main point is just don’t sleep on it. Go do P90X or something haha.

BDavis11

Contributor
As a lot of people have alluded to, the IST is done after you’ve been standing in lines all day for days, with poor nutrition. I ran my slowest PRT ever for the IST. If you can get an excellent on a bad day you’ll be fine.

Then not to spoil anything, but the first PT session is a great experience. 25% of my class rolled within that first 10 minute HIIT PT. By the time I left OCS, the number they rolled for that first event had dropped significantly, but only drove up rolls down the line. Every class I saw had around a 50% roll rate. People just aren’t showing up in good enough shape.

I’m not trying to scare anyone. I was fine, all the rescue swimmers I was with were fine, and everyone who showed up with great PRT scores were fine. But half the class thought a passing PRT and a few calisthenics would be enough, and it turned OCS into a 16 week program for them. It’s not the end of the world, but you’ll be glad you showed up prepared. I was in great shape before I got there, put out 100%, and never felt over-prepared. My main point is just don’t sleep on it. Go do P90X or something haha.
LOL thanks for that