• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

OptionsDollaraire

For those who are considering the marine option. That was my primary route for the last two years. They are having historically lower selection rates for aviation compared to the navy. This is why is switched to the navy option. I got as far as going to NAMI with the Marine Corps last summer and was even fully qualified. I’ve seen it mentioned here but you’ll need to have close to a 300 PFT to even be remotely competitive as well as a somewhat decent ASTB. You’ll also be required to do a PFT every month as well as attend a pool function. It’s a bigger commitment. My last PFT before the board was 295 and I wasent selected. From what my OSO told me only 6 where selected out of the entire nation.
Sounds like you gotta be a physical freak on top of being an aviation nut. That crazy

cjwinton01

SNA Pro-Rec Y
For those who are considering the marine option. That was my primary route for the last two years. They are having historically lower selection rates for aviation compared to the navy. This is why is switched to the navy option. I got as far as going to NAMI with the Marine Corps last summer and was even fully qualified. I’ve seen it mentioned here but you’ll need to have close to a 300 PFT to even be remotely competitive as well as a somewhat decent ASTB. You’ll also be required to do a PFT every month as well as attend a pool function. It’s a bigger commitment. My last PFT before the board was 295 and I wasent selected. From what my OSO told me only 6 where selected out of the entire nation.
what were your astbe scores if you don’t mind my asking?

Orangecat15

Remember that waivers just get you to the board, the board can still look and say no due to the waiver reason
As much as I want to argue with this. By saying waivers only get you so far is saying that people shouldn’t even try for them. It’s like giving people no hope and not letting them push for it.

BDavis11

Contributor
As much as I want to argue with this. By saying waivers only get you so far is saying that people shouldn’t even try for them. It’s like giving people no hope and not letting them push for it.
You mistook what he is saying. People shouldn’t be looking to him for hope. He just lays out the facts black and white honestly. What he is saying is true. Yea you can get a waiver for whatever you need. That waiver doesn’t help you get a Y or N it just helps you meet whatever standard is set out in the guidelines. They may truly deny people with a waiver if it’s the tie breaker.

exNavyOffRec

You can try for a waiver, nothing wrong with that it is about understanding that because NRC says yes doesn't mean it will even be looked at. In the past waivers were scrutinized and if you were given a waiver the board knew you had been through review. The way things are now is that waivers are generally rubber stamped. There are times when boards have said "no" to anyone with a waiver without reviewing the applications, or they could say no to a certain type of waiver.

If a person gets a waiver they need to understand the real hurdle is the board not NRC.
You mistook what he is saying. People shouldn’t be looking to him for hope. He just lays out the facts black and white honestly. What he is saying is true. Yea you can get a waiver for whatever you need. That waiver doesn’t help you get a Y or N it just helps you meet whatever standard is set out in the guidelines. They may truly deny people with a waiver if it’s the tie breaker.
Yep

exNavyOffRec

Well. Outliers are people that choose not to listen to data.
Outliers are those who had an extra bit of luck with them at that particular time.

Just because a person is not the "perfect candidate" doesn't mean not to apply, understanding the data just helps a person have realistic expectations, I can't tell you how many times people have taken the ASTB received a 5's and the recruiters have said "wow those are the best scores", I would present the data and facts to my applicants, then give suggestions to improve their chances if they were given a N.

There are too many commands that don't understand the OCS process and that hurts enlisted trying to get commissioned, many are told not to apply when they actually can, and that is not fair.

BDavis11

Contributor
I got one last go at the ASTB. Might have to explore that. 6's might just not cut it for me the next go. SMH makes me nervous cuz that will be final.