• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Anyone here looking at the Marine route now? Their requirements are more strict, and harder than the Navy side. My last PFT I maxed out everything which they loved I thought I’d give the Navy a shot first. The hardest part now is honestly the LORs. You need 1 Boss, 2 Professors, etc… I should be going to NAMI in January!

Considering giving the May board a shot but I’d like to get to NAMI to see if I qualify as a pilot then make my decision. My 2nd option was SEAL and their pre board is in FEB and SOAS in Coronado over the summer.

A lot to think about….??

I got one last go at the ASTB. Might have to explore that. 6's might just not cut it for me the next go. SMH makes me nervous cuz that will be final.
You got this man. Study everyday hit the math hard and study above the basic algebra you see in the guides. Study material needed for private pilot. PHAK is your best bet or a ground school. Jantzen sim, and astb prep app (only for the UAV test) . Every single day, and at night before bed. You'll get 8 and 9s if you do this every day.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@exNavyOffRec given how strict limit selects are now is it worth it to wait it out or would transferring as a swo be beneficial? I have 7s for pfar and aqr for reference.

Aviation lateral transfers are super rare these days. Maybe 1-2 officers are picked annually... none were accepted for the August lateral transfer board and only one was taken in January. Aviation already has a tight career track and it's difficult and even risky for an O-2 to start flight school and meet all the qualifications to be selected for O-4 down the road. I know one O-4 right now who lateral transferred from SWO to Aviation as a new O-3, he did make O-4 but he's been on back to back to back "sea" duty/aviation assignments (DIVO, Super JO, and now Dept Head). That can be exhausting when you factor in deployments, work ups, OPTEMPO, family planning, etc.

For lateral transfer, not only do you have to be "accepted" and there's a board quota for you... but you also have to be released by the parent community. So you may have the best record in the world and there's a quota... however the SWO community might say no for releasing you to another community.

I would apply SWO only if you're fine serving that throughout your career.

Mouselovr

Contributor
@exNavyOffRec given how strict limit selects are now is it worth it to wait it out or would transferring as a swo be beneficial? I have 7s for pfar and aqr for reference.
I’ve met 2 people who have lat transferred to aviation so far.

1 was a BUD/s dud to aviation due to injury.
The other was a SWO to aviation. He was the only one his year. He joked and said “we are rare, but we exist”.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Aviation lateral transfers are super rare these days. Maybe 1-2 officers are picked annually... none were accepted for the August lateral transfer board and only one was taken in January. Aviation already has a tight career track and it's difficult and even risky for an O-2 to start flight school and meet all the qualifications to be selected for O-4 down the road. I know one O-4 right now who lateral transferred from SWO to Aviation as a new O-3, he did make O-4 but he's been on back to back to back "sea" duty/aviation assignments (DIVO, Super JO, and now Dept Head). That can be exhausting when you factor in deployments, work ups, OPTEMPO, family planning, etc.

For lateral transfer, not only do you have to be "accepted" and there's a board quota for you... but you also have to be released by the parent community. So you may have the best record in the world and there's a quota... however the SWO community might say no for releasing you to another community.

I would apply SWO only if you're fine serving that throughout your career.

Well said. My buddy in VFA-147 said that it’s not advisable. He’s only met 1 SWO to Pilot in his career. Also if your CoC finds out that you went SWO with the intention to just get to flight school it will never happen. That will usually piss off a lot of people and your command is really the one that has a say in it.

jbfalcon2000

SNA Board Applicant
Can you submit a package to multiple branches at once? An Army recruiter told me that you can't, but I wanted to verify.

TheManInTheBox99

Can you submit a package to multiple branches at once? An Army recruiter told me that you can't, but I wanted to verify.
Yes you can. Telling the other officer recruiters that you’re working with other branches might make them salty and reluctant to work with you, but you absolutely can. That army recruiter is full of it and feeding you BS. From his perspective though, he’s also putting in work to get you into the Army, only for you to possibly end up choosing another branch. So you absolutely can apply to multiple branches, but I maybe wouldn’t disclose that information to your recruiters.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I’ve met 2 people who have lat transferred to aviation so far.

1 was a BUD/s dud to aviation due to injury.
The other was a SWO to aviation. He was the only one his year. He joked and said “we are rare, but we exist”.

The BUDS Dud was likely a POCR vice actual lateral transfer, unless he has more than 6 YCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

And honestly, to expand on this....

The moment I got to my command, I had people basically tell me I was nuts applying for SNA/SNFO. "Im too old," "you have no chance," blah blah blah.

Then I get on here and "ex recruiters" say that only scores matter, LORs dont matter, blah blah blah.

Its all crap.

Don't take no for an answer and keep trying. Its been a long road to get here for me and I still have a super long way to go. Just dont let people tell you no, and dont doubt your own abilities.

Having a Flag/Admiral endorsement can help place a candidate with average stats into the PROREC list.

cjh5073

The board itself has to follow the PA, unless there is something that @FormerRecruitingGuru knows I believe they would be required to reject the ISPP, it is possible they could slide you over to the regular process, you have a good PFAR and that is what matters, PFA doesn't matter, LOR's don't matter, and recommendations don't matter.

The pull an admiral not in CNRC has with CNRC is almost nil, I have seen guys with recommendations from all levels of admirals get denied because they didn't meet the PA or weren't the best qualified.

Having a Flag/Admiral endorsement can help place a candidate with average stats into the PROREC list.
Can one of you tell me which one is correct here?

The experts are contradicting themselves.

68Chev

I got one last go at the ASTB. Might have to explore that. 6's might just not cut it for me the next go. SMH makes me nervous cuz that will be final.
if you want help pm me. I can help you setup Jantzen sim and UAV portion.