• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS OCS 12AUG 2024 IWC Board

molkshake

If you have a lower GPA and a technical degree, would the difficulty of the degree be considered as a part of the package? As in would the fact that I have a computer science degree and a 3.2 GPA be taken into account when they weigh me against, for example, a 3.8 liberal arts major?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If you have a lower GPA and a technical degree, would the difficulty of the degree be considered as a part of the package? As in would the fact that I have a computer science degree and a 3.2 GPA be taken into account when they weigh me against, for example, a 3.8 liberal arts major?

That’s a fairly substantial difference, even with the different majors. You can probably overcome the low ish GPA with a very good OAR score. Otherwise I would recommend either going to grad school and earning an MS or considering other OCS programs where your stats are a better fit.

exNavyOffRec

IWC prefers tech degrees so it should give you an advantage, however in the example you gave that is a big difference, if you were talking about .2 then I would feel you would have a real advantage.

The program authorization for MCWO states: "Major fields of study must be directly related to computer science, [or similar]... No waivers will be granted unless an individual has graduated from Joint Cyber Analysis Course, [or similar]..." You will definitely have a leg up on the liberal arts major for that community.

For CW: "Major fields of study directly related to science, technology, engineering and mathematics are most strongly preferred, but not required." That sounds to me like you would probably get the nod there as well.

For IP: "Major fields of study directly related to information systems, cybersecurity, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, operations research/applied statistics, or other science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields are preferred, but not required." Maybe you would lose out to the liberal arts go-getter here. 🤷‍♂️

Note: My statements only reflect my interpretation of the program authorizations. I have zero insider knowledge or experience on the subject. 🤣

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The program authorization for MCWO states: "Major fields of study must be directly related to computer science, [or similar]... No waivers will be granted unless an individual has graduated from Joint Cyber Analysis Course, [or similar]..." You will definitely have a leg up on the liberal arts major for that community.

For CW: "Major fields of study directly related to science, technology, engineering and mathematics are most strongly preferred, but not required." That sounds to me like you would probably get the nod there as well.

For IP: "Major fields of study directly related to information systems, cybersecurity, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, operations research/applied statistics, or other science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields are preferred, but not required." Maybe you would lose out to the liberal arts go-getter here. 🤷‍♂️

Note: My statements only reflect my interpretation of the program authorizations. I have zero insider knowledge or experience on the subject. 🤣

Like what @exNavyOffRec said, the advantage can only go so far. Additionally, these assumptions are completely discounting the fact that there are no other candidates with STEM/Cyber-related degrees with a 3.5 GPA or higher, even some with graduate education.

Like what @exNavyOffRec said, the advantage can only go so far. Additionally, these assumptions are completely discounting the fact that there are no other candidates with STEM/Cyber-related degrees with a 3.5 GPA or higher, even some with graduate education.
Right. I'm with you, but it sounds like OP is asking how he would compare against a candidate with a non-STEM degree.

Question for those that have access to the at-board list: Is it just a list of names or is there any other information provided? It doesn't show the community preference order for the applicants, does it?

Question for those that have access to the at-board list: Is it just a list of names or is there any other information provided? It doesn't show the community preference order for the applicants, does it?
It only shows names with recruiting districts basically; no other information. Hopefully we will see results around the first week of September!

jakobi3000

Question for my resident experts. So sometime in June they changed the 1880 (MCWO) program authorization from no TIS requirement to no more than 144 months but waivable up to 14 years. I’m at 12 so a waiver was put in unfortunately I haven’t heard if it was approved or denied for tomorrows board. If it wasn’t denied would they include mine in the board or would it be pushed to the next one in September? I've heard different things so I'm unsure. Also when they look at the waiver do they look at the package as well?

exNavyOffRec

Question for my resident experts. So sometime in June they changed the 1880 (MCWO) program authorization from no TIS requirement to no more than 144 months but waivable up to 14 years. I’m at 12 so a waiver was put in unfortunately I haven’t heard if it was approved or denied for tomorrows board. If it wasn’t denied would they include mine in the board or would it be pushed to the next one in September? I've heard different things so I'm unsure. Also when they look at the waiver do they look at the package as well?
If on AD you should have received an email stating your waiver was approved, if you did not it probably didn't get processed in time or they just didn't email you. If the waiver wasn't processed for the current board it would be at the next board.

In most cases waivers are rubber stamped, then they let the board decide if they want to accept the waiver or not. The designators limit how many people with waivers they will accept into the designator, there have been candidates on this board that had great stats that were passed over most likely due to the limit on waivers part.