• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Raptors have landed...at Oceana

MasterBates

SPY sucks. All the guys in my squadron have girls if they cruised on a SPY ship.

My favorite. They "secure aft" and give you a 20 degre wedge that originates at the array. 1/2 the helicopter is outside that wedge hovering to land. And you fly into it immiediatley on takeoff.

They suck. The world would explode if they secured 180 aft. Neverminf SPY is not ther only air search radar.

navyao

Yep, that would be them all right and that would be the crux of many blue-on-blues.

And just because Mode IV checks good on deck and with "the" ship doesn't mean they'll see you as a friend or their "robo" mode won't swap your ID with something they thinks needs shooting. I've even been talking to someone at one console (during workups) while someone else is engaging us at another console. USAF AWACS did same thing with 2 Blackhawks in ONW and 2 Eagle drivers that need remedial ID training (one was the CO) took them out believing their vector to be against Hinds.

I remember that...The CO was the one that called "stick a fork in em!" after the the Blackhawks went in.

I got a question for you HJ, "Mode IV" checks, are you guys talking IFF or am I totally off here? Thanks

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And war with Iran... last thing we need is a repeat of the Vincennes...
Standing observation/comment back-in-the-day re: the "incident":

Q: "What was the worst thing about the Airbus shootdown???"

A: "Four empty seats .." :eek:

I didn't make it up ... just reminiscing ... just passin' it along. Don't get on my case .... :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember that...The CO was the one that called "stick a fork in em!" after the the Blackhawks went in.

Yep, and they flew over the Blackhawks before engaging them so no excuse for misidentification. They had their fangs out and saw what they wanted to see. CO was a wunkerkid fast-tracker, too.

I got a question for you HJ, "Mode IV" checks, are you guys talking IFF or am I totally off here? Thanks

Yep!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

A good example of why you should never say wacky "cool" sh!t before/after you kill somebody. Another is the Apache guy (also CO.....trend?) that smoked the Bradley at the start of Desert Strom and said "This Buds for you". I'd imagine you'd hear those words in your head for the rest of your life if it ends up blue-on-blue. Of course, it's better to make SURE you won't have a blue-on-blue, but it will happen in war.

Sweet, Sweet, cleared to switch.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A good example of why you should never say wacky "cool" sh!t before/after you kill somebody. Another is the Apache guy (also CO.....trend?) that smoked the Bradley at the start of Desert Strom and said "This Buds for you". I'd imagine you'd hear those words in your head for the rest of your life if it ends up blue-on-blue. Of course, it's better to make SURE you won't have a blue-on-blue, but it will happen in war.

Yeah same goes for those Viper drivers who lit up the Canadians in the Stan. I don't recall their exact words, but they turned out to be pretty damning afterwards.

Brett

BlkPny

pilot
I can't begin to tell you how many times I was cleared in on a questionable target. Sometimes a province command that decides to create a free fire zone (never mind the village with the women hanging out their laundry and the kids playing in the dirt), or by some scared 20 year old kid scared out of his wits and just wants everything around him blown up, or by some suit back in the Pentagon that decides to create a new free fire zone.
Just remember that when all is said and done, and the smoke clears, the only guy they want to finger is you, the guy with the red button on the stick.
Many times, you're a better warrior for what you don't blow up, rather than for what you do blow up.
End of lecture from the old guy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Return to topic

So sorry to interrupt such a worthwhile threadjack, but these images just released of Raptor arrival at NAS Oceana:

Raptors on flightline at NAS Oceana

060630-F-0986R-011.jpg

060630-F-0986R-016.jpg

060630-F-0986R-003.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Typical USAF reaction when they see Navy facilities they have to operate out of....

navyao

Sweet, Sweet, cleared to switch.

Roger that HD